Monday, July 4, 2011

Hourglass by Myra McEntire

Release Date: 14th June, 2011

Publisher: Egmont USA

Pages: 397pgs

The Story

One hour to rewrite the past . . .

For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn't there: swooning Southern Belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents' death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She's tried everything, but the visions keep coming back.

So when her well-meaning brother brings in a consultant from a secretive organization called the Hourglass, Emerson's willing to try one last cure. But meeting Michael Weaver may not only change her future, it may change her past.

Who is this dark, mysterious, sympathetic guy, barely older than Emerson herself, who seems to believe every crazy word she says? Why does an electric charge seem to run through the room whenever he's around? And why he is so insistent that he needs her help to prevent a death that never should have happened?

Full of atmosphere, mystery, and romance, Hourglass merges the very best of the paranormal and science-fiction genres in a seductive, remarkable young adult novel.

The Review

I love anything with science fiction. I love anything with paranormal. I love anything with time travel. As soon as I heard about this book, I knew that 1) I would have very high expectations and 2) I would love it even before reading it. And I was right. Yet again. It was even more brilliant than I thought it would be. *throws confetti around*

In HOURGLASS, Myra McEntire writes such an amazing story that can weave reality and the past together, creating something magicial. I hope when I eventually write my own time travel story that it's this good as HOURGLASS! I won't get into much of the story because that would ruin it for you guys, but I can definitely say that Emerson is one of my favourite heroines in young adult books. She's funny, snarky, courageous, and while she maybe a little unstable . . . but she's loveable in every way. I think what brought out those qualities in her was the dear gorgeous, mysterious Michael Weaver. Being the love interest of the story, I guess Michael was the big thing in the book and one that made the book feel so . . . complete. Unlike Emerson, he knows all too well of her ability to see Rips (people from the past), time travel and so much more. But my god he was sooooooo awesome and did I mention HOT?

Anyway, just when I thought things were getting interesting . . . by the time I hit the last 90 pages or so, Myra McEntire completely threw me into a curve ball and I ended being met with tons of action sequences and a lot of twists and turns. Then . . . that's when all the truth surfaces and all the lies are soon revealed. HOURGLASS was quite a journey for me to say at the very least and on the whole there's one thing that I loved most about the book and that's that there's no over-the-top romance but one that's believeable and easy-going. The whole romance between Emerson and Michael made me have butterflies in my stomach, much like how Emerson was feeling at the time - especially when the sexual tension came and went. It was pretty cute, sexy, and one hell of a read.

HOURGLASS is perfect for those sci-fi freaks - like me - and if you like the likes of X-men (like me) and maybe the likes of Doctor Who (well maybe not me there but I know there's lot's of Dr. Who fans out there) . . . then this book is for you! I'm also looking forward to reading McEntire's sequel to HOURGLASS and I really hope we get to see more Emerson/Michael romance (more hot kisses I mean), and of course . . . I demand more freakin' awesome TIME TRAVEL!

The Review

5/5 stars

5 comments:

  1. Love the review! I'm only about halfway through at the moment, but I'm really enjoying it. I've been hearing people say Kaleb is pretty smokin' himself... haven't seen much of him yet though, so that remains to be seen! Really excited for these last 90 pages you mention!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I love Kaleb! :) Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read this one yet but I've heard nothing but good things about it. So I'll have to read it soon. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, another good reivew. Very well written, too! I own this book and cannot wait to read nad review it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm more Team Kaleb than Michael cause Michael seemed TOO perfect for me! Hope there's more Kaled in Book 2!


    Krazyyme @ Young Readers

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...