Monday, July 18, 2011

In the Arms of Stone Angels by Jordan Dane

Release Date: 1st May, 2011

Publisher: Harlequin

Pages: 313pgs

The Story

Two years ago, Brenna did the unthinkable. She witnessed the aftermath of a murder and accused her only true friend - the first boy she ever loved - of being a killer.

Now sixteen, Brenna returns to Oklahoma only to discover that Isaac 'White Bird' Henry isn't in juvie. The half-breed outcast is in a mental hospital frozen in time, locked in his mind at the worst moment of his life. When Brenna touches him, she's pulled into his hellish vision quest, seeing terrifying demons and illusions she doesn't understand.

Feelings isolated and alone, Brenna's up against the whole town: targeted by bullying former classmates, a bigoted small town sheriff and a tribe who refuses to help one of their own.


But when Brenna realizes she's as trapped by the past as White Bird is, this time she won't turn her back on him. She's the only one who can free them both. Even if she has to expose her secret - a 'gift' she's kept hidden her whole life.

The Review

Wow, wow, WOWWW! When I first read the synopsis of the book, I wasn't all that interested. Didn't think it was for me. But when I came across a copy at the library I then thought, "Why not? Let's have a go . . . " After finishing the book, I am most certainly very happy that I did grab this book! Honestly this book . . . OWNED me. From the first page to the very last. IN THE ARMS OF STONE ANGELS is absolutely riveting - it's such an intense, emotional and a super cool story about a teenage girl in search of some redemption. Brenna is an outsider when you first meet her. She has always been an outsider, and probably will always be one. When she returns to the scene of the crime - you'll learn about what she sees as the crime and what the town sees for themselves - in which she must not only confront her fears, but she must confront the boy she accused of the murder. The boy she once loved and still does.

For once in a young adult book, I loved every moment of it! Of course there were some paragraphs that were la-de-da but the majority of the book was so freakin' fantastic! The book itself touched on so many different real-life issues - racism, bullying, trauma, relationships, and so much more - and it was something so unique that I can't compare it to any other young adult book on the planet! Well, unless you count the common theme of a girl with a special 'gift' but other than that, I say TWO THUMBS UP for Jordan Dane! IN THE ARMS OF STONE ANGELS lands, hits you, and delivers in every possible way.

I can't even describe the complexity of the characters! Brenna was a wonderful heroine. She thought she was doing the right thing but then she's the one paying the price, and not only that, but she's carrying so much weight on her shoulders and is still willing to protect her mother from her own mistakes. As for the boy she loved, White Bird . . . yet again Jordan Dane has delivered another hottie. Like Brenna, he too is such a wonderful character. White Bird - which he prefers to be called as - is an outsider and with some flashbacks you get to see how him and Brenna formed a solid friendship. It was super sweet! Despite him being accused of murder, sent to a mental hospital, and living a hellish nightmare that is all in his mind . . . he's still so gentle and understanding. *sighs* When it comes to the other characters - like Brenna's harsh former classmates and her own mother - while they were so irritating at times, but ultimately each character had a purpose for the novel's drive and I love them for it!

Anyway, I better stop gushing over this book even if IN THE ARMS OF STONE ANGELS deserves every bit of praise it can get! *happy dance* With thrilling suspense, a compelling mystery, a hint of Native American culture (the best bloody thing to add in a book by the way) and a fresh take of the paranormal genre . . . this book MUST be read by all wanting something new in young adult fiction! I'm pretty sure it's a standalone and I hope it is because it's the best standalone I've ever read in my life! Okay I'm still gushing here . . . so this stops NOW! The end. *forces hand away from keyboard*

The Rating

5/5 stars

4 comments:

  1. Wowee. So erm... you like it, yeah? Sorry, FREAKING LOVED IT!!! ;) I was interested in this but not 'oh my gosh, I have to go grab this book NOW!' - so thanks for changing my mind. Your gushing has me super excited, I'm expecting big things from this now! Awesome review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was beginning this a few days ago, but the galleys pushed it out of the way :( BUT I will now continue reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear it. It's such an awesome book! Even I was surprised by how WOW it was.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...