Sunday, August 28, 2011

Lottie Biggs is (Not) Tragic by Hayley Long

Release Date: 5th August, 2011

Publisher: Macmillan Children's Books

Pages: 256pgs

The Story

Just when things were starting to look up for Lottie her life's gone a bit pear-shaped, wonk-ways and downside up again. Her mum's all soppy over a bloke with a horrible shemo daughter, her best pal Goose has disappeared in a cloud of nerd-gas and Lottie's in the midst of an existential crisis. There's only one thing to do - get the hell out of Cardiff and go on the road with the gorgeous Gareth Stingecombe (and his manly thighs). But things don't go to plan, and Lottie starts to realise she might have been a bit me me me lately . . . a female emo, obviously. The wit of Louise Rennison meets the depth of Jacqueline Wilson.

The Review

A big thanks to Lauren & Hattie from Macmillan for sending me a review copy of this book!

It's worth noting that this is the third book in the series, but since reading only this book, I was thankful it's the kind that you can pick up and not have to read the entire series.

Now I haven't heard of this author except on a couple of blogs that have reviewed this book and when you look at the cover it instantly pulls you into the story - there's just something about it. Sure, I did enjoy some parts of this book but I hate to admit that I didn't like it as much as I wanted to. The reason for this is because the events of the book were quite random, although the book did have its witty moments that readers will love and Lottie was a fun character also, the person who will be relatable to a lot of its readers. Especially to people who take a small situation and blow it out of proportion. The only real problem for the book was its randomness. It didn't have a steady plot as I'm used to and perhaps if I read the first two in the series . . . I may have be able to prepare myself for this third installment. What I did love was the pictures inside the book - which were hilarious, but it didn't necessarily keep me connected with the story and with its characters.

Overall, I recommend this book to readers who have read this series or to people of a younger audience. The book definitely had this fun-loving moments about it and while I may have not connected with the story as well as I wanted, but I did appreciate its quirk and uniqueness of the stories contents! Once again, thanks to Lauren and Hattie from Macmillan for sending a review copy of this book!

The Rating

2/5 stars

4 comments:

  1. Hmm, thanks for the honest review. I might let this one pass then.
    Your header is so pretty; did you draw it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina: No problem. Sometimes books work and others don't. Awww thank you! I didn't draw it though I wish I did. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are the kind of reviews I appreciate when someone doesn't really love a book - hate it when people absolutely rubbish a novel and are so insulting. It's easy to write a respectful review about the pros and cons!! I'm glad it still had moments that you were able to enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Brodie! I too hate when people insult the author over a book they didn't like. There's no point in them being a book reviewer otherwise. Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...