Wednesday, November 16, 2011

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

Release Date: 15th September, 2011

Publisher: Harvill Secker

Pages: 416pgs

The Story

The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des Reves, and it is only open at night.

But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway - a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for their purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst to them, this is a game in which only one can be left standing, and the circus is but the stage for a remarkable battle of imagination and will. Despite themselves, however, Celia and Marco tumble headfirst into love - a deep, magical love that makes the lights flicker and the room grow warm whenever they so much as brush hands.

True love or not, the game must play out, and the fates of everyone involved, from the cast of extraordinary circus performers to the patrons, hang in the balance, suspended as precariously as the daring acrobats overhead.

The Review

I have no idea where to begin with this book review. Well, for starters, ever since I was a child I've always had an obsession over historical novels. I love them entirely and more importantly, I had a deep love over circus's. But compared to the Le Cirque des Reves circus to the modern day circus of today it's just . . . wow. Totally mind-blowing. The entire book is completely and utterly captivating from beginning to end. It drew me like a moth to a burning flame as soon as I met the characters and the lavish setting they were surrounded with. Within the vivid descriptions of Erin Morgenstern's writing of her beautiful debut THE NIGHT CIRCUS, I felt as if I was there sitting on the sidelines and watching the circus performers, witnessing the rival's challenges, feeling my heart-breaking over Celia's love for a man she cannot have, and learning new and amazing things with the daring Marco. It was a magical journey that I never ever wanted to end.

Celia and Marco - our starcrossed lovers of the story - are bound to partake in a cruel destiny, one that involves them, as magicians, to be pitted against one another until a winner takes all. They do not know of each other, but they know a challenger exists somewhere. And because of that mystery, they have to be careful on whom to trust within the circus. Though no matter the opponent they must face, both of these young magicians have been trained since childhood for this ultimate challenge, and only one can win this game and they are determined to win. But neither Celia or Marco know nor understand how this challenge will be played out or what will happen to them when one of them eventually wins this destined game of chance. But they do know one thing for certain - they are in love. From the moment Marco sees Celia across the room, he's aware that she is his opponent and as a result of watching her from afar, he begins to fall in love with her as she does with him, and there is no denying that falling in love with your challenger will end with dire consequences.

My favourite part of THE NIGHT CIRCUS is the lush prose and the words alone proved that Morgenstern is a master of imagery and she has a treasured gift when it comes to her writing. She manages to create a world that is so intregrated in all its elements and she breathes life into this black-and-white circus, making this backdrop an even more magical experience for the eager readers. I mean the things that I experienced in this novel were so amazing because within the words you can actually taste the food and imagine the beautiful spectacles in each of the tents, and there's no doubt in my mind that every reader who reads this book right now will be as captivated and speechless as I am. But despite the scenery, this love story wouldn't have worked without Celia and Marco, who were the most delightful characters I have ever met. Celia has been through so much - what with her very cruel and arrogrant father - and just when she finally finds happiness with someone who loves her in return, it ends in nothing but more torture. Same with dear Marco, a boy who was also apart of a game constructed by others. In constant duels, these two young lovers fight against what seems of the impossible and when readers finally reach the final page, it's no wonder why so many thought this book was going to be the next big thing.

Despite some confusing alternative character chapters, I loved every thrilling moment of THE NIGHT CIRCUS and it's sad to know that this book is a standalone. I want MORE and I seriously don't want to leave this world of Morgenstern's, neither do I want to leave dear Celia and Marco. But good news for readers because Summit Entertainment - the production company of the Twilight films - had bought the rights to this amazing tale and honestly I'm not surprised by this. Overall for readers who love magic, love itself, and of course a great classic historical novel about things of the impossible . . . then THE NIGHT CIRCUS is highly recommended by me. And for a debut author, I expect a lot of great and wonderful things from Erin Morgenstern in the future. Or maybe that's because she shares the same name as me. haha. *winks*

The Rating

5/5 stars

9 comments:

  1. This sounds absolutely amazing. I've heard this mentioned before, but all I knew was the name--I knew nothing about the book. I'm seriously keeping an eye out for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this one on my tbr and can't wait to read it! Le Cirque des Reves sounds so intriguing, and so do the characters! Glad you enjoyed this one, and great review! :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wanting to read this for a while, but your review Erin has made me wanna bump it up on my list quite a bit. Great review...as always!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah: It IS amazing. Be sure to check it out soon.

    Liz: Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the book. Loved it so much.

    Rachel: Thanks Rachel! Hopefully you get the book soon. It's a great read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Erin, this sounds incredible! I've been hearing a LOT about this lately, it's been everywhere. But I wasn't sure if I'd be that interested so I hadn't been paying a lot of attenion. Clearly I've been an idiot. I am so excited to read this now! The prose, the atmosphere and this romance you gush over.... cannot wait to get my hands on a copy! Love your review :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brodie: You HAVE to read this book! That's an order missy. hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a fantastic review! I wish I could write reviews this good. I want to read The Night Circus so bad now. Must go out and get it!! I also love this cover so much better then the US cover. I'm thinking of purchasing this cover from the book depository.

    Glad you enjoyed it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your first paragraph actually gave me chills! I'm so glad you liked it! I feel like we're kindred spirits with the same tastes in books. When I posted my review on Good Reads, I saw so many negative things about it, and it made me very sad because I had such a magical experience while reading it. I'm crossing my fingers for a movie that doesn't ruin it!
    -Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful story, very well executed and lushly described. A book that you won't be loaning to people, you'll just buy them their own copy.
    user recommended Kiwi fruit Green & Gold information

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...