Monday, February 6, 2012

Ashes by Ilsa J. Bick

Release Date: 29 September, 2011

Publisher: Quercus

Pages: 352pgs

The Story

Alex has run away and is hiking through the wilderness with her dead parents' ashes, about to say goodbye to the life she no longer wants to live. But then the world suddenly changes. An electromagnetic pulse sweeps through the sky zapping every electronic device and killing the vast majority of adults. For those spared, it's a question of who can be trusted and who has changed . . . Everyone still alive has turned - some for the better (those who acquired a superhuman sense) while others for the worse (those who acquired a taste for human flesh).

Despite to find out what happened and to avoid the zombies that are on the hunt, Alex meets up with Tom - an Army veteran who escaped one war only to find something worse at home - and Ellie, a young girl whose grandfather was killed by the electromagnetic pulse. This improvised family will have to use every ounce of courage they have just to find food, shelter, while fighting off the 'Changed' and those desperate to stay alive.

A tense and involving adventure with shocks and sudden plot twists that will keep teen and adult readers gripped.

The Review

I would like to think I would survive the zombie apocalypse and who knows . . . maybe I would make it without being an undead's meal ticket . . . you know if the time ever comes. But here's the essential truth about me: I hate the woods. I can't start a fire. I don't own a gun. I don't particularly like the sight of real blood (not the movie kind though which hardly bothers me). And oh yeah - I've only come in contact with zombies through the tv screen. Other than that, I'm probably not as prepared for the zombies let alone the end of the world. Not as I should be. I mean, it's not like it's going to happen or anything . . . And here's another bit of truth about me: I absolutely, positively, utterly adore dystopian books and I love girls who finds themselves in a need to survive in dire circumstances and my god this author has clearly outdone herself.

ASHES was probably one of the best books - apart from the Hunger Games - that I've read in the dystopian genre and it stayed true to the dystopian ways of life. The feeling of hopelessness. The horrors and consequences of the survivors actions. And that flicker of hope that inspires the rest of the human population to move forward with their lives. And of course there are the zombies - how can I forget those kind of ex-human creatures of ours? Personally for me, I found Ilsa J. Bick has created a world in devastating isolation and yet she still manages to place a character into the centre of it all, and allow that character alone to find herself - find the courage she didn't know she had - along the way. That being the girl main character named Alex. I thought Alex was the ideal heroine to have in this type of storyline and the direction it was heading towards. She's smart, she knew how to take care of herself and others, and the most important one that shone out to me was how she handled horrible situations with so much strength and confidence. That is what dystopian needs. That is exactly what I ask for in a female heroine.

But that's not all I loved. The novel was divided into sections and it moved cinematically in an awesome-epic sort of way that got the reader excited and saying similar things like "OH MY GOD, I can't believe that just happened!". These shocking moments happened through the following events of: the electromagnetic pulse that hit and killed thousands, in the moments of the Change that slowly turned harmless humans into monsters, and in the moments where no one is sure whom to trust in the most unlikely band of strangers, and even in the moments of unexpected friendships that could change everything. Every bit of those elements that I mentioned above happened in the ASHES book and Bick wrote them with just as much confidence and percision as one would expect from a dystopian Stephen King-like novel. It was just awesome to read and I can't praise it enough!

With enough creepy and entertaining aspects to keep you there until the very end, ASHES is a fantastic beginning to a young adult series. Not to mention it shocked me when Bicks delivered a heart-pounding cliffhanger . . . leaving you wanting more and more. If you're a fan of the Hunger Games, Lord of the Flies or perhaps if you love a little zombie vs survivor action, then be sure to add ASHES to your to-read pile because it's going to unquestionably and undoubtably be the best thing you're ever going to read in the dystopian world of books.

The Rating 4 1/2 / 5 stars

18 comments:

  1. Amazing review!!! Been in 2 minds about getting this book but now I know as soon as I can I'm buying it. Sounds amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot! Definitely go out and buy this one! Can't praise it enough!

      Delete
  2. I've seen a lot of mixed reviews for this one, but I'm glad you enjoyed it! Alex seems like my kind of heroine too - definitely more excited about reading this now. Great review :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forget those bad reviews . . . this blew me away! :) haha.

      Delete
  3. Oooh, I am a huge zombie fan... I think I'll check this one out! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! Yes! Yes! I couldn't agree more over practically everything you've said. I LOVED Ashes and having only just began dystopian books recently I wasn't expecting to like, let alone adore it the way I do. I was a little disappointed by the change in the book towards the end, but I loved it regardless and can't wait for more! <3 <3 Tom!!
    Wonderful review Erin!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *happy dance* So glad you loved this book as much as I did. Never expected to love this book since dystopian seems overdone . . . but it was very impressive.

      Delete
    2. Haha! Yes. *high five* I'd heard mixed things about it just decided to give it a go on a whim. I expected to have to force myself to get through and instead I was caught from the first chapter. I love survivalist stories so it had my attention from start to finish! Can't wait until book 2!!!

      Delete
  5. Correction to your first sentence: When the time comes. 2012 isn't slated as the year of the Apocalypse for no reason :S And I think I'm about as prepared for the zombies as you are LOL.

    Anyway, WOW. One of the best dystopians next to THG? This sounds AMAZING. The only bad thing I've heard about this is some people say the second half is much different in tone? But obviously that didn't bother you, you're making me a hundred times more eager to read this now!! Incredible worldbuilding, suspense and lotsa creepy... damn, SO good. Brilliant review, Erin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Sure the second half has a different feel . . . but I loved it. You must trust my judgement haha. There's a major cliffhanger btw! Thanks for stopping by Brodie! Hope you get to read this soon!

      Delete
  6. I have Ashes to read, so I can't look too closely, yet. I see the stars look wonderful. I have thought to myself Could I survive a Zombie Apocolypse, well answer from my hubby..hehe, he says that after watching Zombieland ( movie) I suck at rule number # 1 - Cardio, so therefore I am probably a goner, hehe!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ZOMBIELAND! Now THAT'S a great movie to prepare yourself for the zombies. <3 You might be surprised . . . your cardio may improve since zombies would be chasing after you. I know I would run like hell on fire. haha. Fingers crossed that day never comes.

      Delete
  7. I haven't read this book but I am really interested! It sounds awesome and I've also heard of Bick's newest book! Awesome review, Erin! So glad you enjoyed it! :)

    Celine @ Forget-me-not

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of the best dystopian books you've ever read before?? If that's not a selling line, I don't know what is! Oh my gosh, Ashes sounds amazing! I had no clue that it was a dystopian book -- I thought it was just about zombies, and that fact just makes me THAT much more excited to read this! (And I was already sold on the zombies!)

    Amazing review, Erin! :) LOL I can hide in small places so I'll be good for that, but if the zombies of the apocalypse manage to sniff me out... I think I'm a goner!! x)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashes IS amazing! I was sold on the zombies too. It is sort of a dystopian novel . . . I mean it's a normal world until a electromagnetic pulse hits . . . making everyone zombies. But yeah, you MUST and NEED to read this book! It really left an impression on me.

      Delete
  9. Great review. I liked the first half a lot more than I liked the second half, but wow--what a story!

    ***

    Australian YA author Rebecca shares her favorite romantic book scene at The Midnight Garden!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...