Friday, March 16, 2012

The Wood Queen by Karen Mahoney

Release Date: 1st February, 2012

Publisher: Random House Australia

Pages: 321pgs

The Story

Donna Underwood is in deep trouble. An ancient alchemical orrder is holding her accoutnable for destroying the last precious drops of the elixar of life. Never mind the fact that Donna was acting to free her friend, Navian, from the dangerous clutches of the Wood Queen at the time. But what the alchemists have in store is nothing compared to the wrath of the fey. The Wood Queen has been tricked and Donna must pay. Get read for all hell - quite literally - to break loose . . .

The Review

After loving the first book in the series, I've been eagerly waiting to get my hands on a copy of THE WOOD QUEEN. When I finally got my copy, I tore through the endless of pages and just like I expected, the sequel picks up not too long after the ending of The Iron Witch, where Donna finds herself on trial with the alchemists for the shameful loss of the precious elixir. Not only is Donna in trouble yet again but she has also been paid a visit by the Wood Queen herself and this time round . . . the Queen isn't backing down without a fight and using Donna's mother no less as her bargaining chip until she gets what she wants.

I don't about the other readers of this book but I found there was a slight change in tone with this sequel compared to the exciting feelings I'd gotten from reading the first book in the series. I couldn't exactly put my finger on it - on what the 'slight change' was - but if I had to guess it was probably the slow pace of the storyline that distracted me the most. While we get to learn many other secrets of The Iron Witch world, some secrets and lies that are quite shocking to the reader, however the disappointing element of this sequel for me was what occured in the novel with so little progression. I was really hoping for more romance too and was hoping for more . . . oomph from the storyline. You know, something to get me desperately wanting the third book more and more. That might not have happened in my case, but I'm still interested in what the last book in the series has to offer.

Now on the upside, Donna remains the same snarky young heroine we all know and love, and I'm glad to admit she has finally become a much stronger character in this sequel than the girl we previously saw in the first installment. Navin on the other hand, Donna's best friend, was brilliant as always and honestly what's not to love about his character? His relationship with Donna never falters and you can definitely feel the love shared between them . . . a lasting friendship. So a two thumbs up for the author in keeping that friendship formed.

And, of course, like in any young adult story, you have a love interest and that love interest is Xan, the half-fey boy we met in The Iron Witch. Now I was a huge fan of Xan and while fangals will appreciate a fabulous steamy makeout scene in this sequel . . . but unfortunately other than that scene . . . I didn't really have much faith in Xan this time round. He was always pushing away from Donna and kept his secretive side once again. Don't get me wrong here, I like a bit of mystery to my fictional fellows but pleasssssssssssssssseeeeeeeeeee NO MORE! I'm tired of mystery. But not to worry Xan fans if you think I've lost faith in young Xan, because I haven't completely written him off yet since either way you look at it, he's the reason I want to keep reading the series. So I hope in the last book of the trilogy that I can fall back in love with him.

Overall, THE WOOD QUEEN may not have impressed me like The Iron Witch had done last year but it was still another great installment. If you loved the first book, you'll love this! If you have yet to read this series . . . GO READ IT NOW!

The Rating 3/5 stars

17 comments:

  1. Ooohhhhhh, I'm pretty sure I read The Iron Queen last year!! It was during my "love everything that has to do with alchemy" phase, so of course I fell in love with it. ;) It's too bad that the sequel doesn't blow you away though! I know what you mean about characters like Xan -- the dark and mysterious act can be fun, but after a while, you just want him to get together with our awesome heroine! x)

    Fantastic review, Erin! You just reminded me that I need to pick this sequel up! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes - I just want Xan to GET with the girl.

      Delete
  2. I love me a snarky heroine. *girlcrush* So I'm very eager to meet Donna and especially to see how she grows much stronger in the sequel. Aww and the friendship between her and Navin sounds sweet! <3 But curse the overly-mysterious love interested haha.

    Shame this book wasn't as WOW as the first for you, but still, glad he series is enjoyable! Fab review, Erin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have any girl crush on snarky heroines . . . you just can't help but love them!

      Delete
  3. I think I won this off Brodie and Lisa..yay!! I read book 1 and liked it. So I am interested to see how I feel about The Wood Queen. The cover is pretty . Wonderful honest review. Steamy makeout scene...yes please:D But Xan wasn't overly doing it for you this book....that's ok. I shall see how I feel about the lad:D hmmmmm Steamy makeout scene.........hehe!!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe it'll be the opposite for me. I say this because I didn't totally love the first book, so maybe I'll have a better reaction to this one. And I really liked Xan and Donna, and they were never the problem for me. I just couldn't get behind the plot. I needed so much more. So I'm not sure whether to be excited or wary of this sequel...

    Asher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really? That's interesting. Well, in that case, I hope you love this book more.

      Delete
  5. And steamy makeout scene? *shivers delicately* Oh, yes, dude, I can't wait for that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the first book sitting on my pile for ages, but this series sounds good that It would be worth it reading this series. and I loved your review. <3

    Ƹ̴Ӂ̴ƷFICBOOKREVIEWSƸ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually wasn't a massive fan of the first book which I was dissapointed with seeing as I'd looked so forward to it. Not sure I'll read this one, but awesome review Erin. As always! <3 Oh, but the cover is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel. The sequel has its up and downs but if you're not sure whether to read it or not, I would recommend borrowing it from the library.

      Delete
  8. Hmm, I didn't really like the first book. I was going to continue the series though, but now I'm not sure. May put this on hold for a while. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was not so in love with the first book. I want to go on in the serie, just to know what will happen.. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need to begin The Iron Witch soon. I love me some fae, hope they’re great though for me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw, boo. I'm sorry this was a little dissapointing, but it still sounds kind of amazing... I haven't read the first one. I'm going to look it up :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...