Friday, April 20, 2012

Article 5 by Kristen Simmons

Release Date: March, 2012

Publisher: Pier 9

Pages: 364pgs

The Story

New York, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C., have been abandoned.

The Bill of Rights has been revoked, and replaced with the Moral Statutes.

There are no more police - instead, there are soldiers. There are no more fines for bad behavior - instead, there are arrests, trials, and maybe worse. People who get arrested usually don't come back.

Seventeen-year-old Ember Miller is old enough to remember that things weren't always this way. Living iwth her rebellious single mother, it's hard for her to forget that people weren't always arrested for reading the wrong books or staying out after dark. It's hard to forget that life in the United States used to be different.

Ember has perfected the art of keeping a low profile. She knows how to get the things she needs, like food stamps and hand-me-down clothes, and how to pass the random home inspections by the military. Her life is as close to peaceful as circumstances allow.
That is, until her mother is arrested for noncompliance with Article 5 of the Moral Statutes. And one of the arresting officers is none other than Chase Jennings . . . the only boy Ember has ever loved.

The Review

This review is very difficult for me to write because I absolutely adored this book and every single detail inside of it. If you've heard about the hype then it's correct. It is one of the best and one of the most entertaining dystopian reads I've ever read in a while. And honestly . . . there are no words to describe this unique dystopian tale except that it's awesome, it's startling and all the words have truly hit home for me.

In the world of ARTICLE 5, the War has changed everything for mankind. With the rights of each citizen having been revoked and therefore must adhere to the current Mortal Statues, seventeen-year-old Ember soon gets her own dose of reality and with the laws of Article 5 being revised, her and her mother's life are now in danger because of it. Ember knows the true realisation of her life and the consequences she may soon have to face - where people are always arrested for crimes of the simplest of things - and yet despite knowing of those strict laws surrounding her world . . . she's still willing to put herself out there and continue to fight for justice. However as she struggles, the last thing Ember expects is to have help from a familiar face . . . a boy named Chase whom just happens to be her childhood boy-next-door neighbour and also her longtime crush. But with Chase being one of them - a military officer like so many others - Ember will need to question where everyone's - including herself - loyalties lie.

Dystopian books have become a hit or miss factor for me, either because nothing WOWS me anymore or simply because it's hard to come by an amazing and honest dystopian book. With so many greats out there such as The Hunger Games or even The Forest of Hands & Teeth, it's still really hard to compare them to others or find another title that is simply better than the rest of them. For this book however, I found that it certainly measured up to the great stars of the dystopian genre and found it was so much more entertaining and equallly as addictive as the bestsellers out there. With Kristen Simmon's debut novel ARTICLE 5 it's without a doubt one of those books that comes around unexpectedly and rocks your world forever. With the perfect blend of spine-tingling action, breathtaking and wildly-intense suspense, vivid imagery and an almost world-like atmosphere, it's no wonder why I loved this book so, so much and why so many have praised it up on the high bar!

With the storyline rocking my world (clearly) so did its main characters! Ember was straight off one of the strongest characters I've ever come across and is one of the best, too! What I admire most in my heroines is what they stand for in their broken societies and for Ember's character in particular, she was one of those few girls that stands up for herself no matter the consequences that stands in her way. Being her mother's rock and the strongest person within her family, Ember had no choice but to take charge when it was necessary and even when she faces severe series of torment - both physically, emotionally and psychologically - just by reading about her fears alone and her mere desperation to find out what happened to her mother made it so much easier to sympathise with her and I guess in a way I formed a bond with her. She's a survivor and a bit of rebel . . . my favourite kind of heroine if I do say so myself!

In the case of love interests, Ember's relationship with Chase was a great thing to have in a book such as this one. You have to love those childhood friends and childhood crushes. I mean, beyond the surface of these two characters right here - Ember and Chase - and the past that they tried to leave behind them, you can immediately sense a variety of unresolved feelings rotating between the two of them, but just like Ember's character, this boy Chase manages - just barely - to keep these intense feelings hidden inside of him and that's why I loved this boy so much. Throughout the book you get to see two sides to Chase - one from the past who is both sweet and tender and the other one of the present is broken, hardened, and cold. Seeing those two sides of him only proves how well the author has created depth to her characters (really she has created so much depth to them) and oh boy Chase . . . his presence alone was incredibly intense and he soon begins to crack open Embers heart once more - the heart of the past - and morphs it into something so beautiful that I will never stop talking about it. Yup, I'm totally gushing over him right now and I regret nothing!

Overall, the author captures the brutality of war, love and a little bit of everything in between so creatively and I'm addicted to it all. Jam-packed with pulse-racing action, engaging characters, impressive world-building, skilled writing, and of course filled with a breath of fresh air to make this book come to life . . . ARTICLE 5 has definitely become one of my favourites for this year so do yourself a favour and go check it out!

The Rating

5/5 stars

18 comments:

  1. Omg!! I'm so happy you loved Article 5. I loved it, too! <3 I loved Chase and Ember's characters and their relationship. The author did an amazing job with it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY Erin! So glad you enjoyed Article 5! I absolutely adore this book too! I love the world-building, the setting, the characters and I can't wait for the sequel!

    Awesome review, Erin! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I just want the sequel NOW! If only that was possible!

      Delete
  3. OMG! Glad you loved this book too! I agree this is one of the best dystopians out in the market so far. And Ember is such a strong character which is really really great and Chase, oh my,I swear he made my heartbeat skipped . dying for the next installment. GReat review Erin! x <3

    Ƹ̴Ӂ̴ƷFICBOOKREVIEWSƸ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Glad to hear you loved it too! Ember and Chase were fantastic characters.

      Delete
  4. I am so THRILLED that you loved this as much as I did!! Insanely difficult when I wrote my review as well. Too good for words! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Words can't describe how awesome this book truly is!

      Delete
  5. I'm sooo glad you LOVEDD this, Erin! I must've been half-asleep or in a terrible mood when I read it, since well...it didn't exactly blow me away :( I feel like I REALLY NEED to re-read it; maybe I'll like it more the second time? But..I DID LOVE CHASE :) Awesome review, Erin!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes definitely re-read it! I adored Chase even though he was so frustrating at times! :)

      Delete
  6. I need this book. I don't think I've read one bad review for it yet! And if it lives up to the hype...well, it must be awesome. I seriously can't wait to read this one now! Thanks for the awesome review :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! I haven't read a single bad review for Article 5 . . . which is a good sign!

      Delete
  7. YESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! Oh my gosh. YES. Every sentence you wrote, I am nodding my head furiously haha. I LOVED this book and like you said, it's hard for dystopians to really stand out these days because there are SO many and they can get a little... repetitive, sometimes. But A5? Sigh. Kristen Simmons is a genius. I loved Ember and Chase too and their beautiful relationship and oh, all the intensity and brutality and GAH CAN WE HAVE THE SEQUEL?!

    Amazing review! <3

    By the way, I LOVE YOUR NEW LAYOUT!! Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! Kristen Simmons definitely brought something completely EPIC to the dystopian genre without being repetitive. I just want the sequel . . . *infinite cries*

      Awwww thanks! I was hoping for some great feedback with my layout. Wasn't sure if people would like it . . . but anyway my blog needed a change for a while.

      Delete
  8. I loved Chase's character and seeing the two sides of him. I hated Ember though. I just could not stand her. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I really loved Ember but Chase . . . he was a babe. haha.

      Delete
  9. OH wowowowowowow... ERIN. THIS GOOD? Ummm... I'm kind of freaking out. I was never a big fan of dystopians, but I've come around in a major way... but for you to be saying it's THIS insanely good, and grouping it with the likes of THG and Forest of Hands and Teeth? Holy salami slices, Batman...

    AMAZING review.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ...she was one of those few girls that stands up for herself no matter the consequences that stands in her way.

    I definitely agree with this, to a point. I liked that Ember had a bit of spunk to her, but I also wondered what she thought being difficult was going to do for her situation? Considering each time she stood up for herself she only made the situation worse, I figured she would start thinking through her decisions. Unfortunately, I found she often acted first and thought later, resulting in a lot of poor decisions and unnecessary danger.

    Glad to see that you really connected to these characters and the romance, though! I love that blogging shows such varied opinions :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...