Friday, June 15, 2012

Enclave by Ann Aguirre

Release Date: Out now!

Publisher: Feiwel & Friends

Pages: 262pgs

The Story

Welcome to the Apocalypse

In Deuce's world, people earn the right to a name only if they survive their first fifteen years. By that point, each unnamed 'brat' has trained into one of three groups - Breeders, Builders, or Hunters, identifiable by the number of scars they bear on their arms. Deuce has wanted to be a Huntress for as long as she can remember.

As a Huntress, her purpose is clear - to brave the dangerous tunnels outside the enclave and bring back meat to feed the group while evading ferocious monsters known as Freaks. She's worked toward this goal her whole life, and nothing's going to stpo her, not even a beautiful, brooding Hunter named Fade. When the mysterious boy becomes her partner, Deuce's troubles are just beginning.

Down below, deviation from the rules is punished swiftly and harshly, and Fade doesn't like following orders. At first Deuce thinks he's crazy, but as death stalks their sanctuary, and it becomes clear the elders don't always know best, Deuce wonders if Fade might be telling her the truth. Her partner confuses her; she's never known a boy like him before, as prone to touching her gently as using knives with feral grace.

The Review

Many readers I know have been raving non-stop about this book for quite some time now and I never really gave it a second thought until now. Once I started this book, reading chapter upon chapter, I was literally captivated by this storyline and it's no wonder why so many readers had such high praises for this author and her new post-apocalyptic world because it was bloody fantastic!

Deuce is a young huntress in an underground Enclave, where she chooses to live and fight for her freedom in a place where the plague has destroyed most of civilisation and where the world has changed for the . . . worse. Spending her entire life labelled as a 'brat' and not being able to read nor write, she has had no choice but to hunt and protect her people from the beings whom are called 'freaks' - flesh-eating zombie-like monsters - whom exist and prey upon people within the Tunnels. They might be your ordinary zombies but they are far from dumb. They have intelligence on their side and are far more evolved compared to your typical slow-walking zombies, which is why Deuce must hunt them down before they get to her first. But when she is paired up with a handsome young boy named Fade, not only will Deuce be left questioning her job as a huntress but she will also be questioning her entire world and what the future may holds for her alone.

With other readers comparing the main heroine to Katniss from The Hunger Games books, I can easily see the comparsion between the two of them, Deuce and Katniss. Deuce was such a badass young girl and she was exactly what I needed in a dystopian novel like this one. Never once did she falter in her actions nor in her strength, mostly because she's the kind of gal who knew what she wanted and just completely went for it no matter the cost! As a product of her own terrifying society, Deuce may not be the most intelligent character within the book but she merely surives on her gut instinct and survival skills . . . which made me love her even more for her and her authenticity in her character. Then of course, there's Deuce's hunting partner, Fade, whom was equally as brilliant as the main heroine was. Like Deuce, Fade was a boy that was very distant from others in his society but when you finally came around to actually getting to know him, you just couldn't help but love and care for him! While the aspect of romance wasn't heavily focused on and neither did it take over the book, but for Deuce and Fade I'm assuming there might be a romance on the horizon for the two of them, so for the sequel I really, really hope there is some more development with this certain 'romance' because I love these two and how they interact with each other.

Overall, ENCLAVE is one of the best dystopian books out there in young adult fiction at the moment and I highly applaud the author on how beautifully written this book was! Honestly . . . there's so much love for this book folks! With lot's of well-written and fast-paced action sequences, brilliant and vivid world-building, and entertaining and highly intense dialogue being offered up to its readers, you will literally need someone to pry this book out of your hands because you're going to be hooked on ENCLAVE, and be left wanting more and MORE of it!

The Rating

5/5 stars

7 comments:

  1. I have to say I've seen this around loads too but never picked it up. I'm glad you liked it though and maybe I'll pick it up soon. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ERIN! Yay!! I'm so happy to hear you loved this! It was such a fantastic novel and one that I was thinking about recently, so reading your review now has me all the more excited to get my hands on the sequel. Duece was just so awsome and BADASS! I loved watching her grow and I loved the scenes between Fade and Deuce. I'm so cheering for them! And Brodie loves the action in Enclave.

    BRILLIANT REVIEW!! *grabby hands at Outpost*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah! Great review! I bought this a long time ago but it's been sitting on my shelf because I haven't had the time to read it!! But this really sounds great. I know some people didn't like this book so I'm glad to hear it went well for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is on my summer to-read list because I'm supposed to be be reviewing an audio copy of the sequel later on, and I can't wait to read it! I've heard so many good things, and your review only makes me even more excited! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad this review reminded me it's out there! My school librarian said to pick it up, and I just had too many books on my reading list. I will definitely check it out this summer, as I'm really into dystopian right now. Fade sounds amazing!
    -Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whahhh!! Best dystopian out there...I have wanted to find the time to read this for ages , but with book 2 around the corner , could be a good time. I have heard only good things, you had wonderful things to say , so *thud, thud* up the pile it goes. Truly I need a couple heads at the moment. I have skimmed your review as this is one of the books, I try to not read too much about . But you did think it was one of best dystopians and that is crazy awesome! With Outpost and novella Endurance, I have a love for reading as much in a row as I can find.

    The one thing with your reviews is when you give 5 stars you really mean 5 stars!!! :D:D

    MIchelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard so many great things about this book. I'm not a fan of dystopia but I make exceptions when the book sounds good. And this one definitely does. I love how you describe Deuce.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...