Monday, June 11, 2012

Revived by Cat Patrick

Release Date: Out now!

Publisher: Hardie Grant Egmont

Pages: 327pgs

The Story

As a little girl, Daisy Appleby was killed in a school bus crash. Moments after the accident, she was brought back to life.

A secret government agency has developed a drug called Revive that can bring people back from the dead, and Daisy Appleby, a test subject, has been Revived five times in fifteen years. Daisy takes extraordinary risks, knowing that she can beat death, but each new death also means a new name, a new city, and a new life. When she meets Matt McKean, Daisy begins to question the moral implications of Revive, and as she discovers the agency's true goals, she realizes she's at the center of something much larger - and more sinster - than she ever imagined.

The Review

A big thanks to Jennifer from Hardie Grant for sending me a review copy of this book!

Unlike most teenager girls, Daisy Appleby is used to dying. Literally. Five times - as far as she can recall - she has died by accident and each one of those dying moments she has been brought back to life by a secret government drug called Revive, and with this drug alone she must start her life off fresh which means new school, new town, and most importantly, a whole new identity for herself and for her guardians aka her so-called 'parents'. But when it comes down it . . . nothing can ever really be called her own and Daisy is tired of it. As she meets new friends and a hot guy where first love could be waiting on the horizon, Daisy is left questioning what exactly she has gotten herself into and what could her government agency be possibly hiding from her and from everyone else who have also entered the program.

I was first introduced to Cat Patrick's writing with her debut novel, Forgotten, and it was by far one of the most unique YA books I've ever come across, and it had also became one of my personal favourites from last year. But with so much love and praise for her first novel, I admit I was a little worried when it came to REVIVED as I feared it wouldn't live up to my very high expectations. While this book didn't necessarily amaze me in the way Forgotten had in the past, but in all fairness it still entertained me on a great level and the book offered something a little different compared to most YA novels out there, with a modern world with a slight dystopian twist to add into the equation. It was very cool indeed.

REVIVED's main heroine, Daisy, was a character I'd liked immediately from my first encounter with her. For someone who'd died at least five times in her short lifespan, she's been taking it pretty easily for a teenage girl (it was like her saying 'I'm dead now so get over it world') and the same goes with her feel-good attitude towards moving from town-to-town, which I guess made me like her even more because she didn't fear death and understood exactly what was expected of her when her time was up. Well, for almost a second or two before being brought back to life. But the thing about Daisy was that she acted like your typical girl-next-door and I love those types of girls because I could see myself being friends with those characters, and despite all the crazy situations that Daisy seemed to constantly find herself in, she still came to grips with her new life, embraced what she had, and eventually grew up a little which was another bonus to her character arc.

While I love the storyline and all, but the only real complaint I have with the book is the character Matt, the love interest in the story. Don't get me wrong here, I love Matt's caring nature and his compassionate side when it comes to our leading lady, Daisy, but I thought the romance and the overall relationship between him and Daisy was a little rushed for my taste. I just couldn't really warm up to Matt . . . I'm sorry to say. I liked him when I first met him and he was off to a good start because he acted like your boy-next-door or your boy-bff, but when he found out more about Daisy's life and the whole Revive ordeal, I thought he believed in things way too easily and if I were him I would really be questioning things. Like really questioning this Daisy situation instead of saying, 'Okay you died a few times . . . that's cool. Tell me more about it because I believe you for sure'. Regardless of that part, Matt was still a nice guy but much like with this book, nothing can beat my love for the characters nor the storyline of Patrick's debut novel, Forgotten, which I had more of an emotional connection towards compared to this book right here.

All in all, I found REVIVED was an interesting YA read and if you loved Patrick's first novel, then I'm pretty sure you'll love this as well! It might not be my favourite book as of yet - considering that rushed ending and I seriously hope there's a sequel somewhere in the future because I'm not completely satisfied here - but I'm still very much looking forward to more of Cat Patrick's writing because she's a blast to read!

The Rating 3 1/2 / 5 stars

18 comments:

  1. I've discovered that most people seem to find this an alright/ relatively enjoyable book, but NOTHING compared to Forgotten! I myself haven't read either :/ Wow...I would totally expect Matt to chuck a tantrum/not believe Daisy/ question her if she told him she had died 5 times! Hmm....him just accepting it seems a little too unbelievable! It's a pity Matt was a little disappointing as a character :( Anywayyy....awesome review Erin! I'm glad you still enjoyed it despite some issues :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Despite Matt's character, it was a great book this one. But yes, it's nothing compared to Forgotten which will always be my favourite.

      Delete
  2. I've read the reviews of all (or almost all) the Aussie bloggers I know and the reaction is the same. Forgotten is still better than Revived. But Revived is good, too. Of course I love Cat Patrick and her writing. I'm a big fan. I was just hoping for something as good as Forgotten, you know? Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I've read those reviews as well. Good to see I wasn't the only one who'd thought this. I know what you mean . . . but I guess Forgotten had more of an appeal compared to this book.

      Delete
  3. I requested this so long ago but it never did arrive in the mail. I'm kind of happy since I keep seeing average reviews everywhere. It looked so good but everyone was underwhelmed, I guess. Glad it's still average and not bad ;) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you get to read this soon. But yeah, there's more average reviews for this book compared to Forgotten's high praises which is alright since this book was a good read.

      Delete
  4. I rated it around the same too! It was a really cool book and Daisy was sweet, but I was never intensely captivated by it and it kind of lacked action. And Matt! I couldn't warm up to him either because, as sweet as he was, there wasn't much else too him. But I guess that's kind of unfair for me to say since Forgotten was one of my adorable favourites too! Luke Henry forever~ <3 :')

    Amazing honest review, Erin! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, exactly. Matt had his appeal of being the 'good guy' but like you said there wasn't much to him. I agree with you 100% - Luke Henry forever!!!!

      Delete
  5. I agree with everything you said in your review, Erin! I enjoyed Revived but I loved Forgotten more. Luke Henry is still number one for me, compared to Matt. Even though he's quite sweet and charming, I still love Luke more! The concept behind this book is quite unique though!

    Anyway, awesome review, Erin! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear it. Thanks Celine! Luke Henry will probably be everyone's favourite compared to Matt's character which is fine by me. Luke is an amazing character after all.

      Delete
  6. I have Forgotten and I have Revived, I need to read them, soon. I really enjoyed your review. I am interested to see how I feel about this book. It does sound intriguing , but I have seen varying reviews:D

    Always love your honest thoughts!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely need to read them soon. Thanks Michelle!

      Delete
  7. I don't think it's possible to read this and NOT compare to Forgotten, despite them being separate novels it's just... we can't help it! I totally agree with everything you said. While it definitely doesn't live up to my Forgotten love (or Luke Henry! Sigh), I still enjoyed it and I'm so excited to read more of Cat's novels. She has such unique storylines! Awesome review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean Brodie. We Forgotten fans can't help comparing everything Patrick writes to her debut novel. :)

      Delete
  8. Would you believe that I STILL HAVEN’T READ FORGOTTEN?! I’ve heard such differed crazy wonderful things about it, but just... haven’t quite got there.

    It’s disappointing that the Revived romance was a bit average, but I’m glad you seemed to enjoy the rest! I haven’t come across many beaming reviews for Revived, but I still hope I get a chance to read it – I like the cover far too much to pass it up! Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. You really need to read Forgotten . . . one of the best books for sure! Thanks! :)

      Delete
  9. You're actually not the only one mentioning that about Matt, which I admit does bum me about a bit, but I'm still super intrigued by this book! I can't wait to dig into it. I truly enjoyed Forgotten too, so it sounds promising you think readers of her previous work will enjoy it too! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebecca! Yeah it's a pity about Matt's character . . . but he's still a great love interest.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...