Tuesday, June 5, 2012

A Temptation of Angels by Michelle Zink

Release Date: Out now!

Publisher: Dial Books

Pages: 435pgs

The Story

Even angels make mistakes in this page-turning epic romance.

When her parents are murdered before her eyes, sixteen-year-old Helen Cartwright finds herself launched into an underground London where a mysterious organization called the Dictata controls the balance of good and evil. Helen learns that she is one of three remaining angelic descendants charged with protecting the world's past, present, and future. Unbeknownst to her, she has been trained her whole life to accept this responsibility. Now, as she finds herself torn between the angelic brothers protecting her and the devastatingly handsome childhood friend who wants to destroy her, she must prepare to be brave, to be hunted, and above all to be strong, because temptation will be hard to resist, even for an angel.

The Review

Ever since I read Michelle Zink's bestselling YA series, Prophecy of the Sisters, I was super keen to read more books written by her since her last series had recently ended last year and Ii wanted to see where else she could possibly takes us because Zink is such a fabulous writer in her own right as offers well-thought out storylines that could - and will - go in all sorts of directions. But along with that, she always writes about lovely romances, thought-provoking tales, and the best element that she writes above everything else . . . she can write mysteries where you will find yourself not knowing who to trust and forever questioning where your true loyalties lie, and thankfully for her new YA series, I really enjoyed this book as well.

A TEMPTATION OF ANGELS is a book that will please many readers of Cassandra Clare and despite that awesome factor, this book can also stand on its own and separate itself from the rest of the paranormal romances that are out there today, partly due to the setting of a Victorian London which will always, always be a favourite setting of mine. Now from the very first page I was hooked immediately by this storyline and it opens with the main character, Helen, whom was awoken by her mother and forced into a secret passageway in the middle of the night, with little knowing about what was really, really going on. But when her parents are murdered by merciless strangers and when they begin to look for her, Helen disappears in the streets and follows the directions her mother had given her on a piece of paper, which then leads her to the household owned by two brothers, Griffin and Darius, who are the key to open up her newfound destiny and whom can possibly help stop an enraging war from occuring and destroying the world that they hold dear.

While the storyline was a little bit like Gone with the Wind, but for me the strongest element of the book was its characters and it was quite possibly the main reason why I enjoyed this book as much as I did. Both wonderfully fleshed out and distinctive with each and every character presented in the book, it's no wonder why Zink has become a favourite author of mine because her characters are so innocent and so very interesting too! The highlight for me was the main character, Helen Cartwright, because she was a wonderful character. Zink portrayed her brave, scared and grieving side all too well, and while other readers may not have been a fan of her, but as the chapters flew by she'd eventually became a heroine I admired as she stayed true to herself and built up on her own strength that was there all along which I loved.

The same happened with the Channing brothers, Griffin and Darius, whom were such a delight to read about. Darius was the rude and sarcastic brother (gotta love him for his dark wit), whereas Griffin was the total sweetheart and the bright, shining star that also had a dark side to him (he was pretty cool too). I mean, talk about hot boys! There was another boy too, one you will soon come to meet during the book, whom I loved also. However with that said, I still firmly believe there was an unnecessary love triangle in this book. And personally . . . that was its only true downfall. But if this is the case - if there's in fact a love triangle coming up in this series - then I'll prepare myself for this love triangle and see how it plays out. I mean who knows, it might turn out to be perfect since I love all of the boys involved!

The bottom line is A TEMPTATION OF ANGELS maybe predictable at times, but it was still a great introduction to another YA series. With a heart-wrenching story about angels, demons, secrets, love and friendship, and most of all, a classic tale about good and evil, you will most definitely be guaranteed one of the most refreshing and captivating series I've read this year, and I know many of my readers will enjoy this one too! If you love books by Cassandra Clare or anything else with a new-ish twist to the angel and demon worlds (since it's not exactly all about angels), then this book is a must read for all and one you will need to add onto your list as soon as possible!

The Rating

4 1/2 / 5 stars

13 comments:

  1. You had me at Cassandra Clare. I've been meaning to read this for so long and I can't wait to get to it! I LOVE the Victorian London setting.. Really looking forward to meeting these characters :D Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! If you love Cassandra Clare, you'll love this.

      Delete
  2. I want to read this so much! Really glad you enjoyed it, even if some bits were predictable. Great review, seriously can't wait to read this :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz! Hope you enjoy the book once you come to reading it. So worth it!

      Delete
  3. You know, strangely I did think it had a Cassandra Clare feel to it. Which MIGHT JUST convince me to try this one despite not liking her Prophecy of the Sisters trilogy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It reminded me of Clare's Infernal Devices series, since it's set in the same setting. Pity about you not like the Prophecy series . . . but maybe you'll like this one better.

      Delete
  4. I LIKE CASSANDRA CLARE... *stares at copy of ToA on shelf*

    Great review, Erin! :) I love that Helen grows into the MC that you wanted all along - that kind of character growth is always nice.

    I love the Victorian England setting and have been wanting to read a Michelle Zink novel for AGES. Plus, I actually have this book. Hopefully I'll get to it soon! Thanks for the review <3

    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure a lot of people like CC. hehe. Anyway thank you! I adore the Victorian England setting . . . there's just something magical about it but be sure to get a Zink novel soon . . . she's an awesome writer!

      Delete
  5. I liked Helen too! And I didn't really think there was a love triangle, I always thought the unnamed guy was not an option for her, I hope that doesn't happen in book 2!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 'unnamed guy' may not be an option for Helen but I sort of got the feeling he would be apart of her life somehow . . . so who knows.

      Delete
  6. Ive heard mixed reviews about this book, but Im still curious! from your review it really is worth picking up. I cant wait to read it! Great review Erin.x

    Ƹ̴Ӂ̴ƷFICBOOKREVIEWSƸ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! There are mixed reviews but I'm glad I still read this book. It's definitely a fun one.

      Delete
  7. While I'm not the biggest fan of Cassandra Clare books, the rest of what you write about A Temptation of Angels has me.... well, COMPLETELY TEMPTED! I love angel/demon books and especially when the author puts a new spin on the mythology. And though it's disappointing that the love triangle felt unnecessary, I'm really glad to hear you're a fan of both boys! Love when that happens :D

    Definitely plan to get my hands on this - AWESOME REVIEW, ERIN!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...