Friday, November 30, 2012

This is Not a Test by Courtney Summers

Release Date: Out now!

Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin

Pages: 323pgs

The Story

It's the end of the world. Six students have taken cover in Cortege High but shelter is little comfort when the dead outside won't stop pounding on the doors. One bite is all it takes to kill a person and bring them back as a monstrous version of their former self.

To Sloane Price, that doesn't sound so bad. Six months ago, her world collapsed and since then, she's failed to find a reason to keep going. Now seems like the perfect time to give up. As Sloane eagerly waits for the barricades to fall, she's forced to witness the apocalypse through the eyes of five people who actually want to live.

But as the days crawl by, the motivations for survival change in startling ways and soon the group's fate is determined less and less by what's happening outside and more and more by the unpredictable and violent bids for life - and death - inside.

When everything is gone, what do you hold on to?

The Review

From what I've seen from this author so far, Courtney Summers has this special way of writing words - not only with her colourful cast of character's but with these raw, intense emotions that always seem to come along with them. THIS IS NOT A TEST is a greater risk for Summers as her new title is far from her usual works of her 'cutting edge' contemporary literature. But since I'm already a HUGE fan of the zombie and the post-apocalyptic genre, I was immediately drawn towards this book before I even started it. In the end and after reading it all, with a creative crossover between The Breakfast Club and Zombieland, it's no wonder why I've come to adore this author's work so, so much and even more than ever before when it comes to this book alone!

I'm going to be straight with you, right here and now, and try not to bore with you the minor details. So here we go . . . There's no doubt in my mind when I say that Courtney Summers should continue writing books with zombies or at least books with some form of horror in them, because quite frankly she had totally made my mind blow and I still can't believe how amazeballs this book really was and how Summers managed to pull it all off! No, seriously! It was that good! I mean, WOW! Even with this book having zombies popping up here, there and everywhere, this book for me was still far more than your average zombie novel. It was rather a simplistic novel but with a somewhat complexity about it, you know? After all, there's a group of teenagers who are trying to fight against every possible, violent curve-ball the world seems to throw at them and while - for the majority of the book - it's depressing to read about and even a little uncomfortable at times, but there's this sense of realism that this book just . . . had which I guess made me connect with the story a hell of a lot more than I'd ever imagined it would do. There's depression, there's grief, there's death, there's killing, there's hope, there's consequences, there's even love and honestly . . . this book had it all!

What had stolen the show for me - apart from the storyline - was the main character, Sloane, who was the one who made this book as epic (and depressing) as possible. Sloane's voice - compared to all of the characters we are soon introduced to in the book - was so raw, brutal, fresh, and yet she possessed this split-lip of pain about her that made everything all worth while in the end, and made my own heart ache every time she came onto the page. I mean, reading her voice alone and having small glimpses of her past life that made her for what she is today, I can say I've never read a character like her before nor have I ever EVER had such a strong connection with a character like her before, at least not as powerful as the connection I had with Sloane. With this main heroine at heart, Sloane is hard to describe since there's so many layers to her character arc but with everything Sloane experiences or rather has 'experienced', both in the present and in the past, you'll be right there cheering with her and wanting her to triumph over the many difficult situations  that she is now faced with. But wow, wow, WOW . . . Sloane impressed me and with her in the lines of some very interesting company of teenagers with their own mindsets as well, I have to say the characters, the zombies, the story, the blah, blah blah . . . was just . . . WOW!

Overall, I can't necessarily say anymore about this book because you will just have to find out for yourself on how really amazing Courtney Summers's THIS IS NOT A TEST book really is! With a little blood and gore, some heartbreak and death, and a bleak world of dire desperation where people will do almost anything in the means of survival, this is the kind of book you really DO NOT won't to miss out on! But word for the wise - DON'T READ THIS BOOK IN THE DARK! It's scary!!!

The Rating
5/5 stars

14 comments:

  1. Woo-hoo! I'm so glad you enjoyed this! It was my first Courtney Summers novel and it completely surprised me, so I can't wait to read more by her. It was SO well written and just remarkable. Brilliant review, Erin! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I enjoyed this too. Loved it even. So I really hope you love Summers's others books . . . she's one amazing writer! Thank you! :)

      Delete
  2. What a fantastic review, Erin! This will be my first of Courtney's books and now you have me even more excited to read it! I'm so glad you loved it and I can't wait to meet Sloane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you love this one as much as I did and read more of her books. :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Erin,
    I enjoyed reading this book too. The scenes felt real and realistic. I agree with you on Sloane, she made this book epic. Thanks for stopping by our blog. New follower here :)

    -Dannielle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for following, Dannielle! And not a problem about stopping by . . . I really love your blog! As for this book it WAS pretty epic and Sloane made everything else seem so real and realistic to me, like you mentioned. Loved it!

      Delete
  4. I can say I've never read a character like her before nor have I ever EVER had such a strong connection with a character like her before... Wow, Sloane sounds...wow. I love that you connected with her so much and hearing that definitely makes me want to get a wriggle and read this. Every thing about this sounds spectacular so I'm glad I have a copy on my shelf because I can't wait to dive it and soon. I've yet to read a book by Miss Summers but this sounds like an amazing place to start. Thanks for such an amazing review and for the advice. I'll be sure to have lots of lights on when reading this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? It is very wowing and this had totally surprised me . . . Sloane was just a character I instantly connected with. This rarely happens to me.

      Thanks Rebecca! I hope you love this as much as I did. Yes, have a lot of light in your room. haha.

      Delete
  5. "There's depression, there's grief, there's death, there's killing, there's hope, there's consequences, there's even love and honestly . . . this book had it all!" HELL YES! Damn, damn, DAMN. How come I haven't been frothing at the mouth to read this? And aw geez, I love how you describe Sloane! I am really, REALLY eager to meet her. This sounds effing AMAZING and OMG ERIN I THINK I REALLY NEED ME SOME COURTNEY SUMMERS ZOMBIES IN MY LIFE. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I got that reaction from you, Brodie! Haha. You definitely need a fix of Courtney Summers I tell you . . . Thank you!

      Delete
  6. Ahh this book sounds so freaking awesome! Why haven't I picked it up yet?! :( I haven't even picked anything up by Courtney yet... Anyhow, I'm not the biggest zombie fan since I'm a weenie, but this one sounds really good, especially because of Sloane's character. I love that the reader gets to feel all of the feels! Awesome review, Erin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jen. It was SO awesome. You just HAVE to check it out soon. Can't stop praising it up! :)

      Delete
  7. YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! I'M SO GLAD YOU LOVED THIS ERINNNNNN!!!! I NEED TO READ THIS. I NEED TO READ THIS. I NEED TO READ ITTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!! Urghhh your review's making me so desperate to get my hands on a copy!!!! BRILLIANT review Erin!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I know, right? I'm SO happy I LOVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDDDDDDD this book. It was the best thing ever! You NEED to read this SOON, Shirley! SOON!

      Thank you. ;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...