Monday, January 7, 2013

Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes

Release Date: Out now!

Publisher: Razorbill

Pages: 412pgs

The Story

In a land where magic has been forgotten but peace has reigned for centuries, a deadly unrest is simmering. Three kingdoms grapple for power—brutally transforming their subjects’ lives in the process. Amidst betrayals, bargains, and battles, four young people find their fates forever intertwined:

Cleo: A princess raised in luxury must embark on a rough and treacherous journey into enemy territory in search of a magic long thought extinct.

Jonas: Enraged at injustice, a rebel lashes out against the forces of oppression that have kept his country impoverished—and finds himself the leader of a people’s revolution centuries in the making.

Lucia: A girl adopted at birth into a royal family discovers the truth about her past—and the supernatural legacy she is destined to wield.

Magnus: Bred for aggression and trained to conquer, a firstborn son begins to realize that the heart can be more lethal than the sword...

The only outcome that’s certain is that kingdoms will fall. Who will emerge triumphant when all they know has collapsed?

The Review

A big thanks to the publisher on netGalley for accepting my request in reading this book early!


After reading the glowing reviews and hearing all about the comparison to one of my favourite series at the moment, George R.R. Martin's Game of Thrones series, I just knew on a whim that I would HAVE to read this book based on those small assumptions. However, even though I have read the author's previous work in the past and quite enjoyed it as well (she's under a different name of Michelle Rowen by the way), but unfortunately for this book I could not connect with it no matter how hard I tried to.

While I enjoyed certain elements of the book including the action scenes and some interesting character dialogue, but what failed to capture my full attention was the character development on a whole, which was not developed in the way I would've liked. With other elements feeling somehow forced such as the romantic plots and the actions some of the characters takes (under no great reasons for doing a certain action if you get my meaning), and I often found myself confused and not enjoying the world of Morgan Rhodes because of all that. But there are some redeemable factors in this book here and there, but there still wasn't enough to keep me very invested in the story as sad as it is.

Overall, while I couldn't necessarily connect with this book but I'm sure - based on what others have said on Goodreads about it - that many other reaeders will enjoy this kind of storyline and the idea the author has put down in order to entertain you all. With plenty of interesting mythologies, complex characters and with some devious political setups throughout the book, and even a nice little touch of the Game of Thrones series, I think many will love this book regardless of my opinion since this book was in simpler terms . . . just not me.

The Rating
2 1/2 / 5 stars

10 comments:

  1. I've been looking at this book for sometime now, I've seen it about alot and we did get it in at the shop. It looks like my kind of book yet something has stopped my buying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would recommend borrowing this book from the library before buying it. Still, it was an okay read.

      Delete
  2. I'm so torn on whether I should read this book or not! It seems like most people either love or they hate it. I'm sorry this book didn't work out for you. It's always quite unfortunate when the characters don't work out in the story. The GAME OF THRONES elements sound pretty fascinating though. :) I'll have to look into some more reviews to see if I want to read this or not. Thanks for being honest! Great review, Erin. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a 50/50 sort of thing, but I would still recommend giving it ago as this book did work for some others. Thanks Jen!

      Delete
  3. I was looking through my book pile yesterday and saw this beautiful gem. I have to say it looks and sounds amazing, although I have seen mixed reviews. This isn't the first time someone's commented on the so-so character development and story. Safe to say, I'm a bit worried about this one! Hoping I'll love it but...I'll probably find issue with it too. *sighs* Shame. Great review, Erin!

    Lisa | Read Me Bookmark Me Love Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you still enjoy the book. It does have it's great moments here and there, but unfortunately it just wasn't my kind of book. :(

      Thanks Lisa!

      Delete
  4. What a shame, Erin! Anything that is billed as being similar to ASoIaF appeals to me too, but not if it's being labelled as that for no reason. Also, lack of character development always means I can't connect with a book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know . . . it was so disappointing because I was really looking forward to this book. Ah well . . . it happens.

      Delete
  5. This is not the first review I read that complains about the characters and I know I would feel the same way so I doubt this one is for me. I'm also weary of the politics in it, I'm not big on fantasy that has a complex political plot. Hopefully your next read will be (or was) better ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've seen a lot of other reviews like mine too. Such a shame too because this book had a lot of potential.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...