Friday, January 4, 2013

The Diviners by Libba Bray

Release Date: Out now!

Publisher: Little Brown Books

Pages: 578pgs

The Story

Evie O'Neill has been exiled from her boring old hometown and shipped off to the bustling streets of New York City - and she is pos-i-toot-ly thrilled. New York is the city of speakeasies, shopping, and movie palaces! Soon enough, Evie is running with glamorous Ziegfield girls and rakish pickpockets. The only catch is Evie has to live with her Uncle Will, curator of The Museum of American Folklore, Superstition  and the Occult - also known as "The Museum of the Creepy Crawlies."

When a rash of occult-based murders comes to light, Evie and her uncle are right in the thick of the investigation. And through it all, Evie has a secret: a mysterious power that could help her catch the killer - if he doesn't catch her first. 

The Review

A big thanks to the publisher for sending me a review copy of this book!


I borrowed this book from the library and funny enough, before even finishing it, I had also received a review copy from the Allen & Unwin publisher with the Australian cover of this book, so thank you very much for that! As for the newly released title THE DIVINERS, since having read most of Libba Bray's books I've been really looking forward to starting this particular book of hers, mostly because I'm so obsessed with the era of the 1920's and the feel of the mysteries lurking on the streets of New York City, it was nonetheless an exciting-sounding book. While the glowing reviews are well deserved for this book alone and while it may not have been as creepy as I hoped it would be, the author, Libba Bray, has definitely done a splendid job in captivating her readers and making them want to read more of her new series!

As interesting as this book was, but for me it way too long-winded in certain chapters and at times it seemed to have too many descriptions rather than the book just getting on with the story. But apart from those two elements that were the really the only two downers for me, I actually thought this was one of my favourite books coming from Libba Bray and it was definitely a nice change up compared to her last released book, Beauty Queens, which didn't impress me at all. Now even with an engaging storyline, I think what made this book really fun and exciting was the colourful cast of characters - some that were more memorable than others.

Out of everyone I met, my favourite character would have to be Evie as she was the main character after all and the only one that was the most interesting to me. She was just one of those characters that hooked you straightaway with her bubbly personality and clever wit, and even when she's a little bit . . . well let's just say a little too outgoing for her own good, but Evie is a really funny little thing and you will definitely without a doubt love her sass because she totally owns it and reminds me of Nancy Drew in some respects.

Overall, THE DIVINERS is something that may take a while to get used to, but once you get the hang of the storyline and begin to understand exactly what is happening and how all of the pieces fit together, then I'm sure many readers will have plenty of fun in solving this intriguing mystery - bit by bit. But take note that this book isn't for the fainthearted . . . it's pretty darn long!

The Rating
4/5 stars

11 comments:

  1. ok i got a review copy from the Indian Pubs. for it too and since this would be my first Libba Bray book i'm totally excited and this review is spurring me on.......

    Le' Grande Codex

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this few weeks ago but I only made 10 pages and I had to put it down because I couldnt get into the story, but I had a feeling that it was just a very bad timing for me to read this kind of book. I will probably pick it up again sometime. I heard great things about it and your review convinced me. Thank for sharing Erin x
    ?FICBOOKREVIEWS?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely have to be in the 'right mood' for this book considering its length. But be sure to pick it up soon . . . the story does get better later on.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  3. I'm definitely excited to get my hands on a copy of this, but I know that I'm going to have to be in the right mood to read it. I'm excited to meet all of the characters in The Diviners, especially Evie, as she sounds brilliant! Anyone that reminds people of Nancy Drew is a winner in my eyes. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Evie was totally brilliant and I agree about Nancy Drew . . . I will like pretty much ANYONE who reminds me of her so I hope you like this particular character! Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Great review! I keep meaning to read this, it seems to be everywhere. The length of it is putting me off though as that is what most people are complaining about.
    I'm a new follower, love your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for following! The length of the book did put me off just a little especially with those people complaining about it . . . but since I love longer books (though it usually depends on the story) this book does get better along the way so I hope you check it out soon.

      Delete
  5. The Diviners sounds like a wonderful, mysterious read. I can't wait to get my hands on it. Although it seems to have dragged on, I've heard that the overabundance of description really helps the reader get into the mood of 1920's New York. So I'm not quite yet sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I can't wait to meet Evie! I'm still a bit intimidated by the length, but I'll definitely be giving it a go soon. Thanks for the awesome review, Erin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's kind of a good and bad thing with the descriptions and such, but I got over it pretty quickly as the story moved along. It ended up turning out to be a REALLY good book. Thanks Jen!

      Delete
  6. This was definitely an eerie book! I had a hard time connecting with all of the characters, but still enjoyed the eerie mystery. And I agree, Bray definitely brought the setting to life!

    Marlene Detierro (Fishing Lodge Alaska )

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...