Thursday, February 7, 2013

Between Two Thorns by Emma Newman

Release Date: Out now!

Publisher: Angry Robot

Pages: 270pgs

The Story

Something is wrong in Aquae Sulis, Bath’s secret mirror city.

The new season is starting and the Master of Ceremonies is missing. Max, an Arbiter of the Split Worlds Treaty, is assigned with the task of finding him with no one to help but a dislocated soul and a mad sorcerer.

There is a witness but his memories have been bound by magical chains only the enemy can break. A rebellious woman trying to escape her family may prove to be the ally Max needs.

But can she be trusted? And why does she want to give up eternal youth and the life of privilege she’s been born into?

The Review

A big thanks to the publisher on netGalley for accepting my request in reading this book early!

I absolutely loved this book because of its cover artwork! It's really beautiful and it was the main reason why I wanted to read this book in the first place. So as far as the BETWEEN TWO THORNS storyline and its characters go, I thought it was a great start to a new series, and fans and readers of the likes of J.K. Rowling and Diana Wynne Jones - even the works coming from another talented author, Neil Gailman - will most definitely enjoy this book as well as it shared similar writing styles to those works mentioned above.

The book itself, I felt, told a great story and it had this magical feel about it too. It wasn't particularly special nor the most amazing book I've ever read, but there was just enough there in the story to make me enjoy the book on a whole. Even on the characters side of things, they were all an okay bunch for the most part and while I didn't necessarily connect with them too much but I liked the story the author told, the parts the characters played, and in the end it was a very nice, little read for me.

Overall, BETWEEN TWO THORNS was an enjoyable book. While it did take a me a long time to get into the story, but once you immerse yourself in the world it ended up becoming a really charming read and I'm sure many others will enjoy this one too.

The Rating
3/5 stars

9 comments:

  1. I agree. I'll be posting my review soon, but I liked this book. The cover is gorgeous, I love the Angry Robot covers <3 Fun story. Nothing special, but nice to read one time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. Nothing special but a really nice read.

      Delete
  2. This cover looks a lot like Assassin's Curse, but that makes sense since I think Angry Robot did that too, hah. I'm glad you enjoyed this overall!

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's very much alike with the covers. They're pretty cool.

      Delete
  3. Ooooh like you i am really drawn to the cover! Like Wendy said above it does look a lot like The Assassin's Curse cover, shame it only got a 3 from you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks exactly like TAC cover but yeah . . . don't get me wrong . . . the book is still very good. A nice, quick read. Just wasn't oh my god WOW, you know?

      Delete
  4. DID YOU SAY J.K ROWLING?!?! Hell, I'm definitely reading this then :D Hahaa, like Wendy said, this looks eerily similar to The Assassin's Curse! Glad you enjoyed this overall, Erin!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's by the same publisher, which is probably why it's very similar.

      Thanks Shirley! :)

      Delete
  5. great review! i had a similar reaction to the book... and rated it much the same, except i rounded it up
    :)
    i found it was too unfinished at the end- does that make sense? to many threads left hanging.
    I found Max most difficult to connect to, and since at the beginning there was quite a lot of his POV- same as you I couldnt get into the book.. then I got totally caught up in it and now I just hope she is going to release the second one FAST

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...