Monday, March 4, 2013

Boundless by Cynthia Hand

Release Date: Out now!

Publisher: HarperTeen

Pages: 448pgs

The Story

The past few years have held more surprises than part-angel Clara Gardner could ever have anticipated. Yet from the dizzying highs of first love, to the agonizing low of losing someone close to her, the one thing she can no longer deny is that she was never meant to live a normal life.

Since discovering the special role she plays among the other angel-bloods, Clara has been determined to protect Tucker Avery from the evil that follows her . . . even if it means breaking both their hearts. Leaving town seems like the best option, so she’s headed back to California - and so is Christian Prescott, the irresistible boy from the vision that started her on this journey in the first place.

As Clara makes her way in a world that is frighteningly new, she discovers that the fallen angel who attacked her is watching her every move. And he’s not the only one. . . . With the battle against the Black Wings looming, Clara knows she must finally fulfil her destiny. But it won’t come without sacrifices and betrayal.

In the riveting finale of the Unearthly series, Clara must decide her fate once and for all.

The Review

Look I'll admit here, I absolutely loved the first book but I was pretty disappointed with its sequel for obvious (Tucker) reasons, and yet I found this third and final installment to the Unearthly series, BOUNDLESS, to be such a perfect conclusion to this much beloved angel series! The book not only strengthen each one of the characters and tested them on many, many dangerous levels, but it also placed back my faith and love for this book series - a feeling which I really, really missed!

Regarding the book itself, the plot, for one, was fantastic! Simple as that. Fantastic. While the beginning of the book was a little slow for me and a little hard to get into for moment or two, but with so much happening and with so many shocking events going on throughout the book - some more surprising than others - it just became one of those reads where you cannot literally put the book down. You just need to find out more and more. And I love those rare moments I get in a book where you're so invested in a storyline and its characters, and I guess it's just part of the fun in reading them!

As for the characters, it was a great to be re-introduced to them once more and see the growth they have achieved throughout the course of this series. They've really grown up and matured into great characters and I love them to bits. Clara, our main protagonist, for one, was someone who broke my heart in the sequel, Hallowed, as she broke up with her boyfriend Tucker and left to be with Christian - or so it would seem. Damn Clara and her feelings. But in this third installment, I finally gained more respect for her character and I understood why she did what she did and her reasons for it, so I'm glad she shone in this book this time round as we all finally get to see her kick-ass side ways. I appreciated those moments I got from her. Christian, on the other hand, was someone I haven't always liked but he too shone in this book as surprising as it is. I actually could see why Clara liked him more than just a friend way and yet I still couldn't see them as a romantic "couple" but I guess that's because I can't seem to get past someone else we all left behind in the sequel. That being our country boy Tucker.

The one thing that hasn't changed in the series - at least for me personally - was my love for Tucker. Cowboy-hat-tight-jeans-wearing and handsome boy Tucker was just always someone I loved and he just couldn't be compared to Christian, even though Christian does get some love for me in this book too. It's just not possible to compare Tucker to Christian because Tucker is his own entity, you know? And, despite what team you're on, I've always been a Tucker girl. Readers who've read my reviews will know of this already because I confess it constantly! Anyway, while we don't necessarily get many scenes with Tucker in BOUNDLESS (I know, how cruel of the author to do that to us!) but it was still satisfying to me and I'm so happy Clara got to see Tucker now and again too. You can just FEEL the intensity between the two of them . . . it's just meant to be you know? Boy, I love Tucker!

In regards to the ending, it was utter perfection. I couldn't have asked for a better ending myself. Not only did it close off in a way that makes you giggle, smile, and laugh in a cutesy school girl sort of way, but it also gave off this sense of relief to a reader as well . . . like everything worked out for the best. Yeah, the ending gets absolutely no complaints from me! Consider me a happy fangal now!

Overall, while it's sad to see this series end but I'm so ecstatic too as BOUNDLESS delivered more than I ever expected from it. Filled with emotionally-driven characters, heart-pounding action and solid-written storytelling, I'm sure many readers will be overjoyed with this third and final conclusion, depending on which guy team you're on of course! Hehe.

The Rating
5/5 stars

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed this one so much! I agree, it was nice to finally see Clara kick some ass, but I found the ending a little too perfect - everything wrapped up a little too nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was - I guess - a little "too neat" the ending but I didn't mind considering what happened between Clara and that 'other' guy. :)

      Delete
  2. Hell yeah, I've been a Tucker girl from the moment I heard about Tucker :D But.. I absolutely hated this book unfortunately. Such a shame and I'm not sure what went wrong.. I'll be posting my review soon and I think not many people are going to agree with me, haha. Great review though and I'm happy you liked it so much!

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *fist pump* Tucker always had my heart! No question about it! But I'm sorry to hear you didn't like this book, but I get why some readers did though. Still, I liked how this book went. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...