Thursday, March 7, 2013

Everbound by Brodi Ashton

Release Date: Out now!

Publisher: Simon & Schuster

Pages: 368pgs

The Story

Two months ago, the Tunnels of the underworld came for Nikki Beckett. That night, Nikki's boyfriend, Jack, made the ultimate sacrifice. All Nikki wants is to save Jack before it's too late. All Cole wants is to find his queen - and he thinks Nikki is the one. Both determined, both desperate, Nikki and Cole form a tense alliance, leading them on a dangerous journey to The Heart of The Everneath.

The Review

A big thanks to Simon & Schuster Australia for sending me a review copy of this book!

EVERBOUND is one of those rare sequels that sends you on such an emotional roller coaster. I'm not kidding. One moment you're happily in tears and then the next you're truly sobbing over how terrible the world actually is and thinking, 'How could this talented and evil genius author do this to me?!'. It's just one of those things I find Brodi Ashton is really good at! So while the book didn't necessarily blow me away as the first book, Everneath, had done, but it's still a great continuation of this YA paranormal series and I'm dying to read more of it now!

Nikki, our main leading lady, continues to improve as a character and takes some pretty major leaps in order to get her boyfriend, Jack, back. Boy I really admired this girl in this sequel! Just when I thought she was super strong in the first book and couldn't get any stronger than that, I was clearly wrong because she totally kicked ass in this book. It's almost as if she's an entirely different person, so I hope readers who weren't a big fan of hers will come around in this book. Just - argh. Love her in this one!

As for Cole's character, that good old bad boy who wants nothing more than Nikki to be his underworld Queen of sorts (or so he thinks she should be), well what can I really say about him? He was just - to put it as simply as I can - awesome! After what occurred between him and Nikki in the first book, and the whole Jack being in the way dilemma, I couldn't help but feel sorry for the poor guy - even if I didn't want to feel anything for him because I'm all for Nikki and Jack's team forever and ever. But Cole . . . there's something really special about his character and I love seeing his much more vulnerable side in this particular book. It was such a real treat!

And as for Jack, oh my lord that boy! That boy! Gosh I missed him so much! I mean, part of the reason why I didn't enjoy this sequel as  much as the first book was because of the lack of Jack's character! He made not that many appearances so while I do realize he's 'missing' or rather 'gone' someplace else considering what happened to him at the end of the first book, but I just missed him terribly despite Nikki's dreams and flashbacks of him. Le sigh. But don't worry Jack fangals out there, he's still physically (well sort off physically) in the book and it will make you happy (well sort of happy hehe).

Overall, fans of Everneath will totally love EVERBOUND even though it yet again delivers another very cruel cliffhanger on the main character's part. So while those cliffhangers drive me crazy, but I got to admire the author for those crazy moments because I'm even more anxious to read the third book now! So I say bring me some more Nikki and Jack lovin' my way please!

The Rating
4/5 stars

4 comments:

  1. I still need to read this. I wonder if my library has a copy yet...probably not. I'm curious if I'll like Jack better this time. i thought he was boring in the first book. But I love Cole!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was the opposite in the first book. LOVED Jack but only liked Cole. My opinion has definitely changed now! :)

      Delete
  2. While I don't know if this series is for me, you've certainly made it sound fun, Erin! And I know what you mean, it's hard to be excited when one of your fave characters is not featured as often in a sequel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might not be the most epic book ever but it's definitely fun! I know! I hate when a favourite character of ours isn't featured in a sequel. It's a downer for me but I'm sure the third book will make up for all of that! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...