Friday, March 29, 2013

Let the Sky Fall by Shannon Messenger

Release Date: Out now!

Publisher: Simon Pulse

Pages: 416pgs

The Story

Seventeen-year-old Vane Weston has no idea how he survived the category five tornado that killed his parents. And he has no idea if the beautiful, dark-haired girl who’s swept through his dreams every night since the storm is real. But he hopes she is.

Seventeen-year-old Audra is a sylph, an air elemental. She walks on the wind, can translate its alluring songs, and can even coax it into a weapon with a simple string of commands. She’s also a guardian—Vane’s guardian—and has sworn an oath to protect Vane at all costs. Even if it means sacrificing her own life.

When a hasty mistake reveals their location to the enemy who murdered both of their families, Audra’s forced to help Vane remember who he is. He has a power to claim—the secret language of the West Wind, which only he can understand. But unlocking his heritage will also unlock the memory Audra needs him to forget. And their greatest danger is not the warriors coming to destroy them—but the forbidden romance that’s grown between them.

The Review

OH MY GOD OH MY GOD OH MY GOD! This is one of the most unique books I have ever come across and it's quite honestly one of my favourites coming from this year by far. A total standout. With so much going for it - including breath-taking mythology, power-driven characters, beautiful backdrops and always surprising twists and turns hidden underneath it all, I have to say LET THE SKY FALL does everything for me and it's exactly what I needed to read right now!

Having enjoyed Shannon Messenger's debut and her first installment of her middle-grade series, Keeper of the Lost Cities, there wasn't any doubt in my mind that this title too would blow me away and once again I was right. But I think it did more than that actually because to me this book was really, really special - one of a kind in fact - and it made its own little genre and stepped well away from the usual paranormal read that we see most days and for which gets a total two thumbs up from me. I just love something really different. I just . . . can't even express my EPIC love for this book. Really it was just . . . WOW!

I think one of the main reasons why I loved this book so much was simply because of the fact that the book was separated - chapter after chapter - by two main character perspectives and, if written right, you know how much I love dual perspectives. I love them A LOT if the author gets it right and this one definitely got it right for me. I mean for me personally, Vane and Audra were the perfect main characters and while they have their flaws but there was such power and depth in their own voices, and you couldn't help but feel for them both and the situations they were constantly put into. In a way I suppose, they kind of reminded me of Beautiful Creatures's Ethan and Lena, so I think if you loved those two main characters you're mostly certainly going to love this couple as well. I just . . . again . . . can't put them into words except that there's perfect chemistry, perfect personalities, perfect . . . well . . . just about everything and I loved them both immensely because of it! Especially Audra. Damn girl . . . I want to be best friends with you!

Concerning with what happened in the actual book, even though we still have a lot to learn about Sylphs (these new beings featured in the book) and what their powers exactly entail, and even why the bad guys are still after our main characters, but I still think Shannon Messenger wrote quite a bad-ass set-up for the first installment of the series and introducing to us with what these 'beings' actually are. But, from what I can see so far, I know there is still more epic things to come considering the cliffhanger we were left standing on. Just trust me you guys, after every little crazy thing that happens in this book, the cliffhanger - even the smallest one at that - will be totally worth waiting for and will definitely leave you wanting more and more from this author!

Overall, LET THE SKY FALL lived up to every single one of my (very high) expectations and let's just say when you combine mystery, mythology, romance and some gust of wind into the mix of it all, you're going to get a mind-blowing read and will be (literally) swept off your feet!


The Rating
5/5 stars

6 comments:

  1. I've been looking forward to reading Let the Sky Fall for ages, the main thing that drew me to it was its unique premise, and I'm really pleased it lived up to all your expectations! And I'm really excited to see it's written with dual perspectives, I love it when those are executed well. Brilliant review!

    Hollie @ Music, Books and Tea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's definitely going to be worth the wait for you, Hollie! I can't praise this book enough! Hehe. As you can already tell by my review.

      Delete
  2. Oooh lala, Erin! This book was hyped up to the max back in June last year I think, and I remember being SO SO excited for it! The storyline sounds absolutely fantastic, and let's NOT forget about that cover! <3 I'm so glad your connection with the characters is so strong; it's the best part about reading a book! Being able to understand characters like no other is just fabulous. I can't wait to get my hands on a copy now, lovely review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's a GORGEOUS cover, right? Very much in love with it. I think you'll definitely enjoy this one here! It's . . . well it's very hard to describe. So many feels! Hehe.

      Delete
  3. Wow, I haven't even heard of this book before and you make it sound so amazing. I am all over it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's SOOOOOO AMAZING! I kid you not. Hehe. I LOVED IT!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...