Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Monsters of Men by Patrick Ness

Release Date: Out now!

Publisher: Walker

Pages: 603pgs

The Story

In the riveting conclusion to the acclaimed dystopian series, a boy and girl caught in the chaos of war face devastating choices that will decide the fate of a world.

As a world-ending war surges around them, Todd and Viola face monstrous decisions. The indigenous Spackle, thinking and acting as one, have mobilized to avenge their murdered people. Ruthless human leaders prepare to defend their factions at all costs, even as a convoy of new settlers approaches. And as the ceaseless Noise lays all thoughts bare, the projected will of the few threatens to overwhelm the desperate desire of the many. The consequences of each action, each word, are unspeakably vast: To follow a tyrant or a terrorist? To save the life of the one you love most, or thousands of strangers? To believe in redemption, or assume it is lost? Becoming adults amid the turmoil, Todd and Viola question all they have known, racing through horror and outrage toward a shocking finale.

The Review

This third and final book of Patrick Ness's brilliant-epic-amazing-riveting Chaos Walking trilogy, MONSTERS OF MEN, had really pushed everything over the limit (I mean really, really pushed it with just about everything its got) and by the time I started this book, the sooner I finished it not even realizing just how quickly I read it to begin with. It was crazy I tell you and my god, my god, my god, MY GOD. And what a book this one was! It was action-packed, adventurous beyond belief, emotionally-driven by all of its characters, mind-blowing, and just to sum it all it up . . . it was just like . . . WHOA. Consider myself speechless.

 photo tumblr_inline_migdo9lqCI1qz4rgp_zps062d2832.gif

First off, let's talk about Todd and Viola. Honestly these two are the real thing when it comes to main characters and are the main reason why I loved this series as much as I did. So really, it pains me that I never picked up this book series sooner than I did, even after hearing so much about them. I mean, where has this series been hiding all of my life? I want to know because when it comes to Todd and Viola they are one of the strongest characters I have ever met in fiction and even for very young teenagers with so much more to learn . . . they just have this personality that makes them seem quite older than they are and whether they are apart in the book or are working together against crueler forces . . . they still manage to pull through just about everything that is thrown at them and be this unstoppable duo team who are full of courage, heart, intelligence and love. And speaking of love, Todd and Viola's love for each other and their impeccable sense of friendship was one of the most sweetest ones I've ever come across and what I can I say? I'm obsessed with them. Totally obsessed and I'm going to miss them terribly because honestly . . . if they were real people I would be stalking them right about now!

 photo sneaksy.gif

As for the most hated character in the entire book, that being the Mayor, I have to say his character out of everyone had really surprised me in this particular book - at least in a sense that he wasn't what we always thought him to be like. Sure he is what a typical villain should be like and he perhaps never made any heroic attempts to become a better man for everyone else involved in this war going on around him, but I actually felt really sorry for the guy, especially when he started to treat Todd like a second son and make a replacement out of him for the son he had killed in the second book. Yeah . . . he's a different kind of man Mr. Mayor.

Anyway, I don't know why I liked him so much in this book because it was like he was begging for me to hate him, but you could just tell that he loved Todd and admired him so much for his courage in war, and how he kind of wished for him to be the son he always wanted to have, even in his own twisted ways. So I really enjoyed his character despite him being the villain and all. He was - and still is - always interesting to me and is one of my favourite villains til this day and to me he is almost like Javert from Les Miserables - someone who isn't entirely a meanie, just someone who is misunderstood. Well, mostly. It's like, after reading this book, the Mayor was saying to me . . .

 photo tumblr_mgrzo7GWmO1rlav4ko2_r2_500.gif

Then there's that cliffhanger! Oh that cliffhanger of an ending killed me! Literally. While the ending - to me at least - felt like an open ending for a possibility of another book (though I highly doubt it) but I also think it's the kind of ending where we, as the reader, interpret it in our own way with what happened and in my mind the ending ended perfectly and in a way that surprised me. It was really cruel of course this ending, but mostly it was perfect and was quite clever too. Not to mention completely different to most endings in YA book series and I like that difference. It makes this book stand out even more . . . just . . . gah. I still can't explain my feels on this one without doing it justice.

 photo tumblr_m87gucy94y1qhhxd4o8_r1_250.gif

Overall, MONSTERS OF MEN was so darn good and I can't even think straight because I'm mind-blown by everything that I have just read. So I'm incredibly happy with this book but I'm also incredibly sad too because this series is now over and I just don't know what to do with myself anymore . . . there's this void in my heart and I just don't know how to fix it! I just don't know.

 photo tumblr_lmrqzuYKsW1qzwwa2.gif

The Rating
5/5 stars

8 comments:

  1. Just skimmed your review since I haven't read any of the books. I'm not a fan of dystopia as I've said many times, but I'm really intrigued by this series. Perhaps because it is lauded by so many people. Do you think it goes beyond typical dystopia?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will admit that dystopian books are hard to like. Sometimes they are the same old same old. But for some odd reason this book series has been a complete standout to me.

      So as for the series going beyond the typical dystopian book . . . it does and it doesn't. It definitely has the feel of The Hunger Games and Blood Red Road in it, but I feel it's a much more genuine dystopian book and it's something that I couldn't get enough of. I would definitely recommend giving the first book a go to see if you like the series or not. It really depends on the reader.

      Delete
  2. I haven't started this series yet! I have heard how wonderful it's supposed to be, however. It's always sad when a series ends though - I can understand how you're feeling. The only thing you can do to get rid of that feeling is keep reading :P. Maybe switch genres!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to start it asap! It's AMAZING! But yeah, it's sad when a series is over . . . I'm going to miss these characters so much.

      I might just do that!

      Delete
  3. This makes me want to re-read this series so BADLY! I read it before I blogged, so I'd be super interested to see what I think when I need to write a review for it lol

    Love the Hugh Jackman gif, p.s.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to re-read the series as well just so I can see the characters again. Hehe.

      I love that Hugh gif too. :)

      Delete
  4. I can't believe I still have not read this series! I even own book one, because I found it on sale, so I guess I should get book one and catch up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *shakes head* You REALLY need to read this series asap! Love it so much!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...