Friday, March 22, 2013

Perfect Scoundrels by Ally Carter

Release Date: Out now!

Publisher: Hyperion

Pages: 304pgs

The Story

Katarina Bishop and W.W. Hale the fifth were born to lead completely different lives: Kat comes from a long, proud line of loveable criminal masterminds, while Hale is the scion of one of the most seemingly perfect dynasties in the world. If their families have one thing in common, it's that they both know how to stay under the radar while getting--or stealing--whatever they want. 

No matter the risk, the Bishops can always be counted on, but in Hale's family, all bets are off when money is on the line. When Hale unexpectedly inherits his grandmother's billion dollar corporation, he quickly learns that there's no place for Kat and their old heists in his new role. But Kat won't let him go that easily, especially after she gets tipped off that his grandmother's will might have been altered in an elaborate con to steal the company's fortune. So instead of being the heir--this time, Hale might be the mark. 

Forced to keep a level head as she and her crew fight for one of their own, Kat comes up with an ambitious and far-reaching plan that only the Bishop family would dare attempt. To pull it off, Kat is prepared to do the impossible, but first, she has to decide if she's willing to save her boyfriend's company if it means losing the boy.

The Review

This book was such a great conclusion to Ally Carter's Heist Society series and anyone who has read this series already will know how perfect it really is!

PERFECT SCOUNDRELS is the third and final book in the series, and brings back together all of our beloved characters from the previous books - including Kat, Hale, Gabrielle and the good old Bagshaw brothers. But unlike their other grand heist adventures, one of their own is the primary target of a very dangerous scheme, and Kat will do just about anything to put a stop to it as this target runs very close to her home and to her own heart as well. Hale that is.

For me this book had a very different tone compared to the other two installments of Heist Society and Uncommon Criminals. It was much darker and ran a little bit deeper into the personal side of things for each one of the characters involved, which I rather liked. I like it when other books in the series have that different tone about it, you know? It sets them apart. But the thing I really loved and enjoyed about this book - this time round at least - was the serious-like themes displayed throughout it - including family and friends, and the overall determination the characters were willing to go through in order to save those family and friends involved, so it was great to see those stake running a little bit higher now.

As always I found Kat was such a delightful, young main heroine. She was spunky for the most part - and really great at jokes - and yet it was also great to see a different side to her in this final book. One that isn't so confident and so calculated with pretty much . . . well . . . every situation that she throws herself into. It made her far more human to me instead of her always being the 'super heist girl' with no flaws. Because, at least in this book, our Kat became much more conflicted with her decisions and emotions, and she was much more insecure and less than confident in her heist-stealing plans, so it was really enjoyable to see her in that new, particular light.

While the other characters were super awesome in every super way possible (I'm talking to you Uncle Eddie cause you were awesome in this book), but the one character that I cared most about and the one character I hoped to love even more than I already did just . . . disappointed me on many levels. Hale. Hale. Hale. Yup, I'm talking about him. Mr. Hottie Hale. So, why am I disappointed with him? Well, much like with the different tone of the book, Hale for me, became an entirely different person (one I couldn't even recognize anymore) and Kat could clearly see this too. She feared she would lose him for good with this sudden 'change' and was willing to accept it too, which scared the hell out of me because I ship those two so hard. I know a lot of fans like me do too. Le sigh. My poor Hale. My poor Kat.

But, when you think back to the book and what happened, once you consider everything and the whole new Hale situation, it's not like I could blame this sudden change in him since he had just lost his beloved grandmother. The only person that really - and ever - cared about him so it's completely understandable for this new Hale. Death does change people - for better or for worse. But despite that, even though we do get to see flashes of the old Hale now and again, he was still different to me. Someone I didn't particularly like. So just when Kat began to finally recognize what a great guy Hale really is and finally got to be with him, this different Hale steps up and changes everything. This Hale - at least I found - did stupid things like push Kat away, break into offices without even thinking, and getting drunk for no reason. Yeah . . . he disappointed me on many levels but I still love him because he's well . . . our Hale. Kat's Hale. You have to love Hale despite his flaws no matter. I'm willing to forgive! Hehe.

Overall, PERFECT SCOUNDRELS had plenty of twists in it and it was a great conclusion to the series. One I'm actually proud to have read because you have no idea what's going to happen next to the characters which, I guess, is one of Ally Carter's best talents in writing. So if you have already read the Heist Society series or have not yet read the books quite yet, then be sure to read this series as soon as possible - and this book too - because it's a great one for any type of reader looking for a fast-paced adventure!

The Rating
4/5 stars

2 comments:

  1. I only skimmed your review as I plan to start this series in the next few weeks, but I'm really glad to see you enjoyed it overall! Spunky Kat sounds like a character I will like... though I'm worried about all this Hale stuff you mention. I guess I'll find out. :)

    Great review, Erin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe this series is over and I haven't even started it yet! I am happy to hear that it finishes well, now I have a whole series of books to get to!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...