Saturday, March 30, 2013

Sister Assassin by Kiersten White

Release Date: Out now!

Publisher: HarperCollins

Pages: 302pgs

The Story

She never chose her deadly gift but now she’s forced to use it. How far would you go to protect the only family you have left?

Annie is beset by fleeting strange visions and a guilty conscience. Blind and orphaned, she struggles to care for her feisty younger sister Fia, but things look up when both sisters are offered a place at Kessler School for Exceptional Girls.

Born with flawless intuition, Fia immediately knows that something’s wrong, but bites her tongue… until it’s too late. For Fia is the perfect weapon to carry out criminal plans and there are those at Kessler who will do anything to ensure her co-operation.

With Annie trapped in Kessler’s sinister clutches, instincts keep Fia from killing an innocent guy and everything unravels. Is manipulative James the key to the sisters’ freedom or an even darker prison? And how can Fia atone for the blood on her hands.

The Review

SISTER ASSASSIN (also titled as Mind Games in the US) happened to be one of the most anticipated books for me this year. While I haven't always been a fan of Kiersten White's Paranormalcy series, but nonetheless I was still looking forward to reading her new book because the concept and everything about it sounded awesome and it was exactly what I wanted to read right now! But unfortunately for me and unfortunately for this book, I didn't love it and I basically threw in the towel by skimming the rest of the book until the very end of it. It just wasn't my thing.

It wasn't a bad book but I still had my fair share of problems with it. A lot of problems in fact. The characters were a bit of bore. The writing style was too easy-going for my taste. And the whole thing that went down from the start to the end of the book was just . . . NOT what I wanted. Sure, I thought the dual perspectives was written considerably . . . well I suppose and were meshed together as one would expect from this writer, but it seemed to me this book still had more work needed to be done in order to make it shine and be extra special to the reader. I guess, all in all, the book was just missing something good - something epic - which is a pity considering how much I was looking forward to reading it. I mean, of course I loved the concept and the idea of it all, but it just wasn't the book for me because nothing stood out and the book seemed better suited for a younger audience judging by its own writing style, and not even the characters could make me happy, you know? So yeah, I'm really disappointed with this book. I thought it was going to offer more than it did . . . yeah.

Overall, SISTER ASSASSIN is a make-or-break kind of book. But if you loved Kiersten White's previous work, then you're going to love this one for sure! As for me though, I don't think I'm going to be reading the sequel anytime soon unless book reviews of it tell me otherwise.

The Rating
1/5 stars

2 comments:

  1. Erin, I'm with you; I didn't like Paranormalcy that much, either. The writing style is definitely set for a younger crowd, I think. I haven't read Mind Games yet, but I'm still a bit curious about it. Sorry nothing worked out for you in this book (that sounds really bad..). Better luck next time, eh? Thanks for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah . . . Paranormalcy is a 'cute' read but I thought it was better suited for a younger crowd. I still didn't mind it though. So I hope you end up enjoying this book, even though it wasn't really the kind of read for me.

      Thanks Jen! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...