Saturday, March 9, 2013

The Ivy by Lauren Kunze & Rina Onur

Release Date: Out now!

Publisher: Greenwillow Books

Pages: 312pgs

The Story

Congratulations! You have been admitted to the most prestigious university in the world. Now what are you going to do?

Callie Andrews may not have money or connections or the right clothes, and she may have way too many complications in her love life, what with

Gregory
the guy she loves to hate ...

Evan
the guy she'd love to forget ...

Clint
the guy she'd love to love ...

and Matt
the guy she really should love ...
all vying for her attention.

But she has three fantastic roommates (best friends or her worst nightmare?) and a wholesome California-girl reputation (oops) and brains and beauty and big, big dreams.

Will it be enough to help her survive freshman year at Harvard?

The Review

A big thanks to Holly on Goodreads for swapping books with me for a copy of this book!

From the cute guys to the feisty girls to the whole college experience, I actually thought THE IVY was a pretty decent read. There was certainly a lot of drama going on in this book - like a lot, A LOT of drama as I already expected from this book - and while it wasn't exactly spectacular in any sense, but I can definitely see its potential later on in the series and why some readers enjoyed the book as well.

In regards to the characters, I thought all of them were pretty good. They're not people I would necessarily like or be friends with if they were real people, but each one had their own set of personal quirks and personality styles that I found were easy to connect with because there was always a character where I could say, 'I knew someone like that back in the day.' As for our main character, the "smart", "talented" and "high achiever", Callie, she wasn't exactly all of that and she may have made a  few choices here and there that seemed too immature for her age (it seemed more high school-like her drama than college), but I still managed to like her and sympathize with what was going on in her life. And, as for the romantic love interests, they were the only downer of this book. They're not swoon-worthy, but it'll still be interesting how all of that develops later in the series.

Overall, THE IVY may not be everyone's cup of tea but that's okay. Some books are like that. As for me, I really enjoyed this book in the end and it has really got my curiosity going after what happened at the end . . . so I'm going to continue with this series in hopes something good happens in the sequel and where there is more development (and perhaps more romance) when it comes to the characters. So if you love a cross-over between Mean Girls and Gossip Girl, you're definitely going to love this book!

The Rating
3/5 stars

4 comments:

  1. you are so right.. I really wouldn't want to be friends with these people if they were real.. I had high expectations for this book but I ended up rating it a 3. Meaning it was good, but not that great. I hated the main character going from guy to guy and it crushed me how they were all hurt!

    great review, will have to check your review for the second book to see if it gets any better when you do read it

    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Juhina! I know what you mean. It was good but not great liked I wanted it to be. I'm hoping to get the sequel very soon. So fingers crossed the series gets better for me. :)

      Delete
  2. I love the cover for this one! I haven't come across it before. I'm not a huge fan of drama (there's only so much I can take before I think it's excessive) so I don't think this would be for me, but I'm glad you liked it well enough overall. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the cover too! It was pretty much the main reason why I wanted to read the book in the first place. Yeah, I'm not into the whole outrageous drama kind of thing so this book may not be for you. Still, I'll see how the sequel turns out.

      Thanks Sam!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...