Thursday, March 28, 2013

The Rules by Stacey Kade

Release Date: 23rd April, 2013

Publisher: Disney-Hyperion

Pages: 416pgs

The Story

1. Never trust anyone.
2. Remember they are always searching.
3. Don’t get involved.
4. Keep your head down.
5. Don’t fall in love.

Five simple rules. Ariane Tucker has followed them since the night she escaped from the genetics lab where she was created, the result of combining human and extraterrestrial DNA. Ariane’s survival—and that of her adoptive father—depends on her ability to blend in among the full-blooded humans in a small Wisconsin town, to hide in plain sight at her high school from those who seek to recover their lost (and expensive) “project.”

But when a cruel prank at school goes awry, it puts her in the path of Zane Bradshaw, the police chief’s son and someone who sees too much. Someone who really sees her. After years of trying to be invisible, Ariane finds the attention frightening—and utterly intoxicating. Suddenly, nothing is simple anymore, especially not the rules…

The Review

A big thanks to the publisher for accepting my request in reading this book early!

FINALLY! A science fiction book that does everything right for a change and it couldn't have come at a better time too. Honestly this book and I started off with an absolute high, and it was exactly what I needed to read at the time when I did. I mean, despite the cliches some people may point out while reading this book, but I still thought this particular book not only delivered a perfect blend of a contemporary read - as it's mostly set in a high school setting - but it also added some wonderful sci-fi elements into the mix and I fell  completely hard for it too! Even with no high expectations for the book whatsoever.

THE RULES is told from two different perspectives - Ariane's and Zane's, who were two incredibly captivating main characters if I do say so myself. Not only was this book such a blast to read through, but it was the characters themselves that did the entire 'blasting' for me and I don't know how I had reached the end of this book but . . . I guess it had a lot to do with those addictive characters after all. I mean, Ariane and Zane come from two completely different worlds - Ariane is a mystery all on her own (and perhaps not of this world) and Zane is your average jock but one with a lot of heart. And once the story is revealed - piece by piece - and when these two main characters come together and unveil this amazing connection with one another, all I can say is and without revealing the storyline itself . . . it was AWESOME and that's all you need from me when it comes to this book alone. It blew me away and I demand more from this series! MORE I TELL YOU!

Overall, this book was a very surprising read for me and delivered so much more than I first expected from it. Unique, fast-paced, suspenseful, and with some lovely hints of a great old romance, THE RULES had this cross-over vibe between Carrie and The Host, and it's definitely something you're not quite sure about at first and yet once you read it, you are soon so compelled by it until reading the very end, becoming something you must NOT miss out on! I totally loved it if you can't tell already!

The Rating
5/5 stars

4 comments:

  1. Glad you liked this so much. I have it on Netgalley but haven't started it yet. What do you generally think sci fi books do wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to start reading it asap! Loved it!

      I don't think there's anything wrong with sci-fi books in general (because I absolutely LOVE them) but there are some authors out there that either make their sci-fi worlds/stories too complicated, underdeveloped or are just not interesting, you know? I thought this book - especially for the YA genre - to be great one that ticks all of the boxes for me.

      Delete
  2. Even after reading your review, I don't know that I know what The Rules is about. BUT I do know that you loved it, and your enthusiasm for it is contagious! I'm a sucker for a good sci-fi, so it makes me extremely happy to hear that Kade got it right :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The book is something that is hard to explain. Plus I didn't really want to spoil things in my review . . . so it's better to read it and get your mind blown by all of the little surprises along the way. Hehe.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...