Thursday, March 21, 2013

The Rules for Disappearing by Ashley Elston

Release Date: Out now!

Publisher: Disney Hyperion

Pages: 320pgs

The Story

She’s been six different people in six different places: Madeline in Ohio, Isabelle in Missouri, Olivia in Kentucky . . . But now that she’s been transplanted to rural Louisiana, she has decided that this fake identity will be her last.

Witness Protection has taken nearly everything from her. But for now, they’ve given her a new name, Megan Rose Jones, and a horrible hair color. For the past eight months, Meg has begged her father to answer one question: What on earth did he do – or see – that landed them in this god-awful mess? Meg has just about had it with all the Suits’ rules — and her dad’s silence. If he won’t help, it’s time she got some answers for herself.

But Meg isn’t counting on Ethan Landry, an adorable Louisiana farm boy who’s too smart for his own good. He knows Meg is hiding something big. And it just might get both of them killed. As they embark on a perilous journey to free her family once and for all, Meg discovers that there’s only one rule that really matters — survival.

The Review

A big thanks to the publisher on netGalley for accepting my request in reading this book early!

THE RULES FOR DISAPPEARING quickly introduces us to the main character, Meg, a girl whose family is constantly on the run from 'something' dangerous and whom is under the super secretive witness protection program. While "Meg" doesn't know the details of why her family are always on the run, but once she lands herself in Louisiana, she not only finds herself some new friends, a possible new boyfriend, a new place to finally call home and finally feel safe at, but she will soon find out what danger she is running from and it will open more doors than she could possibly imagine . . . and handle.

The thing I loved most about this book was how quickly I read it! All in one sitting. I mean, it wasn't the kind of book that was very well-developed in certain cases, but regardless, it still didn't waste any time with the details, you know? It got straight to the point which I found was really awesome and refreshing for a standalone book (assuming it is a standalone of course) considering how most books can usually go on and on about those particular details causing the book to drag on if you know what I mean. So I loved this one!

Another thing I loved too was the characters. While they might not have been all perfect, but I found the main character Meg (even though that is a name she picked out for the witness protection program) to be a great character to take control of this particular situation that she was going through at the time and I really enjoyed her voice as well. She was smart, headstrong and completely driven. I liked her a lot because of those qualities of hers. Even Meg's family - while strange and sometimes mysterious - were a great addition to the book as well, and I think many readers will enjoy them too despite their certain odd quirks. The only thing I didn't like was the romance section of the book (it just didn't quite hit the mark for me) but once everything was out all in the open - including why Meg and her family are on the run from some pretty bad people - I was soon welcomed the romance and on a whole really enjoyed it.

Overall, THE RULES FOR DISAPPEARING was such a fantastic read! Reminding me a lot of Sarah Alderson's Hunting Lila minus the paranormal elements, I think anyone who loves a fast-paced book full of action, mysteries, romance and unexpected twists will most definitely love this book and the writing itself! I really enjoyed this one!

The Rating
4 1/2 / 5 stars

6 comments:

  1. Always nice when you find a book that sucks you in. I don't know if I've read a book about the witness protection program. certainly a fascinating idea. Do they have things like that in Australia?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I love those types of books too. As for the whole witness stuff in Australia, I would imagine so. But of course it's pretty top secret so I wouldn't know for sure. Or maybe I do. Hehe. ;)

      Delete
  2. oh yay!!! and I LOVE books that immediately get to the point! I usually find myself skipping all the details anyways! lol! I have an ARC of this one so im HAPPY that you loved it! Great review!
    - Farah @ MajiBookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I love those types of quick reads. Thanks! I hope you enjoy the book!

      Delete
  3. YAYYYY!! So glad you enjoyed this Erin! I agree that this definitely wasn't well-developed in certain aspects, but it was past-paced, mysterious and REALLY enjoyable! I'm hoping there's a second book? Or maybe a companion novel? OR EVEN A NOVELLA. I WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT THAT SUITS GUY (forgot his name!!) Glad you loved this so much :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! It was enjoyable in those aspects. Yeah . . . I kind of want more from this book. A sequel of some kind would definitely be nice.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...