Friday, March 15, 2013

Unremembered by Jessica Brody

Release Date: Out now!

Publisher: Macmillan

Pages: 302pgs

The Story

Sixteen-year-old Sera is the only survivor of an explosion on a plane. She wakes up in hospital to find that she has no memory. The only clue to her identity is a mysterious boy who claims she was part of a top-secret science experiment. The only adult she trusts insists that she shouldn't believe anything that anybody tells her.

In a tense and pacy novel exploding with intrigue and action, Sera must work out who she is and where she came from. Eventually she will learn that the only thing worse than forgetting her past is remembering it.

The Review

A big thanks to Pan Macmillan for sending me a review copy of this book!

UNREMEMBERED was the kind of book I loved the moment I found out about it! Even before reading the actual book itself. You can't deny that fact because the synopsis alone and the mystery behind the one question we're all dying to find out about before reading this book of 'Who exactly IS Seraphina?' draws you in instantly, so I couldn't wait to get my own copy of it!

Since this is the first book I've read of Jessica Brody's I can't really compare this book to her other works, but it's fair to say that she wrote quite an entertaining book here. The pieces surrounding this Seraphina girl were very well-plotted, detailed and were super interesting too, so in that respect I think the author deserves a two thumbs up from me because she wrote everything very well indeed. But the only little piece of criticism that affected my opinion of the entire book was that the book itself didn't necessarily feel like anything new in the YA genre. It definitely had a different take I suppose, but it still wasn't unique. I mean, with close similarities to some of my favourite books including Dan Krokos's False Memory and the Bourne Identity series, I think it's hard branching new books into those same genres, but in any case I still enjoyed this book and I think many of you will like it as well.

As a main character, Seraphina was decent enough. We may not know a whole lot about her like we want to (she's lost her memory after all) but once the pieces of her past life slowly come together and we finally learn what exactly happened to her before her memory loss, I thought she was an easy character to like and relate to, and in the end she had also become one that came out on top for me. She was pretty bad-ass. Now in terms of a love interest and another lead character, this stranger and someone from Sera's life before everything happened, Zen, he too was an okay character. I didn't love him, love him nor obsess over him in my fangal ways, but he was still someone who helped move the story along and helped us as readers get to know Seraphina some more, so it'll be interesting where his and Sera's relationship ends up next because they were fairly cute together.

Overall, while the book doesn't offer up anything new onto the table, but I still think UNREMEMBERED is a great start to a YA series and it's a nice and light sci-fi read, especially for those readers who are yet to introduce themselves to the sci-fi genre or of any Jessica Brody's previous books.

The Rating
4/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...