Sunday, May 26, 2013

The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson

Release Date: Out Now!

Publisher: Greenwillow

Pages: 423pgs

The Story

Once a century, one person is chosen for greatness.

Elisa is the chosen one. 

But she is also the younger of two princesses, the one who has never done anything remarkable. She can't see how she ever will. 

Now, on her sixteenth birthday, she has become the secret wife of a handsome and worldly king—a king whose country is in turmoil. A king who needs the chosen one, not a failure of a princess.

And he's not the only one who seeks her. Savage enemies seething with dark magic are hunting her. A daring, determined revolutionary thinks she could be his people's savior. And he looks at her in a way that no man has ever looked at her before. Soon it is not just her life, but her very heart that is at stake.

Elisa could be everything to those who need her most. If the prophecy is fulfilled. If she finds the power deep within herself. If she doesn't die young.

Most of the chosen do.

The Review

I know, I know you guys! This book has been out for so long (like two years now) and so has its sequel too. It's just sometimes the books that are right up my alley get all forgotten about for some reason and I admit I'm a bit of a slacker when it comes to that, which is very naughty of me indeed. But thankfully my local library had a copy of the first book in the series and I'm really glad I read it now because it was actually pretty good! It wasn't a perfect book per se but I really enjoyed it nonetheless as THE GIRL OF FIRE AND THORNS is about a young girl's journey of self-discovery, war, love and of a hidden power within her own being. It can't get better than that!

Elisa, I find, was such a great narrator! She wasn't the easiest character to love as she had her many faults but her strengths is what balanced out everything about her character. So while I didn't necessarily like her complaining and always scrutinizing herself and of her own body weight (it was like c'mon you're perfect and stop it already!), but there was a lot of growth on her part, especially as the book progresses and dives deeper into the cultured world Rae Carson has created. It was almost like she was someone else entirely by the time I finished the book because Elisa was so unlike the Elisa we knew from the beginning. And I like seeing and reading about these certain character changes! She was great!

The secondary characters were great also. Some played more significant roles than others, but I thought they  all had great importance to the storyline and helped shape Elisa into a very strong, fiery, matured character. But I have to say, Alejandro, Elisa's new husband, was someone I didn't like at all. He did have his caring and tender moments here and there, but he never particularly loved her in the way I thought he would nor did he see her worth in being a faithful wife. He was a bit of downer for me in the book since I had so many expectations of him too . . . oh well. His loss. But in terms of another two potential love interests, Hector (who I was really rooting for from the start even though some readers may not think of him as a love interest) and Humberto (who was so sweet mind you and so adorable with everything in-between), I thought the two of them were the most enjoyable parts in the book. Well, apart from the well-plotted and greatly detailed world of course!

Overall, THE GIRLS OF FIRE AND THORNS wasn't an epic book but it was most definitely a wonderful start to a trilogy and I'm looking forward to picking up a copy of the sequel very soon! With powerful magics, transforming characters, almost breath-taking setting backdrops, and intriguing political and religious propaganda, I think many people will enjoy this series and judging by the reviews I've read it definitely seems to be that way!

The Rating
4 1/2 / 5 stars

13 comments:

  1. This is a book I've been on the fence about. While I am a fan of high fantasy, I wasn't sure if I would like it. It's good to know that despite some whining in the beginning the mc goes through some growth. I think I'll give this a try this summer. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was on the fence with it too . . . but I'm very glad I changed my mind. :)

      Delete
  2. I was pleasantly surprised when I read this book. I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did. I definitely felt the same way about Alejandro, and I really, really loved Elisa's development. The sequel is on my shelf right now and I can't wait to read it. Great review!

    -Taylor @ Reading is the Thing 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Taylor! I'm glad you liked the book too.

      Delete
  3. I've heard tons of amazing things about this series. But I still haven't picked up the first book. :) A balanced main character? And great secondary characters? But you certainly got me with this: With powerful magics, transforming characters, almost breath-taking setting backdrops, and intriguing political and religious propaganda... Whoa. I need this in my life.

    Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope you get a chance to grab this book. Definitely worked out for me in the end. :)

      Delete
  4. I really enjoyed this too! It wasn't a 5 star book for me either, but I liked it enough to want to continue with the series, which I heard gets better with each book. I agree with you about Elisa. She took me a little while to warm to, but I really liked her by the end. I still need to pick up the second book! :) Lovely review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep in mind, ladies, GoFaT wasn't a five star book for me either. BUT LOOK WHERE I AM NOW. Obsessed and in love. Crown of Embers is so amazing I don't even know how or what to say because I CAN'T DEAL. But Bitter Kingdom? OH BOY.

      And Erin: *cackles* If only you knew what Elisa's love life is going to turn out like. IF ONLY. *has squeal-a-thon*

      Delete
    2. I heard it gets better too . . . so fingers crossed for that, Sam.

      Delete
    3. Haha well I can't wait to find out about Elisa's love life now, Ash. I'm definitely intrigued now. ;)

      Delete
  5. I really, really liked this book. Elisa is great and the next book is even better! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear. I'll try and get a copy of the sequel soon. :D

      Delete
  6. I read this a couple of months ago, I really liked Elisa by the end but like you, I REALLY didn't like it in the beginning.

    I actually didn't mind Alejandro at all, though he does make some pretty hurtful choices, but I did not expect anything to do with Alejandro to turn out the way it did, nor with Humberto and I really loved that Carson makes some big events that I was not expecting, it makes me more excited for the rest of the series.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...