Sunday, May 12, 2013

With All My Soul by Rachel Vincent

Release Date: Out now!

Publisher: Harlequin Teen

Pages: 384pgs

The Story

What does it mean when your school is voted the most dangerous in America?

It's time to kick some hellion butt . . .

After not really surviving her junior year (after all, she did die), Kaylee Cavanaugh has vowed to take back her school from the hellions causing all the trouble. She's going to the find a way to turn the incarnations of Avarice, Envy and Vanity and the rest on each other. And so she – and her gang – make plans to protect her friends and finish this war, once and forever.

But then she meets Wrath. And Kaylee realizes that she's closer to the edge than she's ever been. Especially when one more person she loves is taken . . .

The Review

A big thanks to HarlequinTeen Australia for sending me a review copy of this book!

I was so excited when I got this book in the mail. It was the final book of the Soul Screamers series (I know it's so sad to even think about this series ending) and after everything the characters have been through - through hell and back and back through hell all over again - it was even more exciting to find out how exactly Rachel Vincent would  be concluding her much beloved YA series. But one thing is for sure: She sure doesn't disappoint with those 'are-you-crazy!' curve-balls that the author is just so good at!

Okay . . . KAYLEE IS SUCH A MAJOR BAD-ASS IN THIS BOOK. A MAJOR BAD-ASS. I kid you not people because she is absolutely amazing in this final book and proves herself again and again, and she sure makes me proud. I mean, after the many events that have occurred in this series, Kaylee has sacrificed so much (even her own life) to keep her family and friends safe from all hell's creatures and it's just so inspiring to witness, especially when she doesn't always put her safety first in dangerous situations. Of course it's stupid (really stupid actually to not think about your own safety) but it's just one those things I absolutely love about Kaylee's character. Her willingness to protect others and not think twice about it. It's the way she is.

Then there's Tod. Kaylee's 'sort of' new, dead hunk of a boyfriend. Okay, so right from the very beginning of the series I was a total Nash fan but when it comes to Tod . . . I tell you . . . I pretty much loved him as soon as Nash turned out to be a douche in the middle of the series and bless him. I mean, after everything Tod has done for everybody, in particular for Kaylee and his brother Nash, Tod finally gets his chance to shine and   OH MY GOD I JUST LOVE HIM AND KAYLEE TOGETHER. There's just so much to like about him and I like how Rachel Vincent made him shine in a different light in this book. He is so much more . . . serious and mature and boy I love that!

Now I won't spoil the book for those who haven't read it yet but let's have a quick talk about that ending. Hmmm . . . I am quite a fan of epilogues and such. I really love them. Really I do. I love that final ending and that little sneak peak into the future of our characters. But with this particular book . . . I absolutely did not agree with the epilogue. While it did have its good moments and most of the characters get their own 'sort of' happy ending, but with a certain 'something' that happened to Kaylee towards the end of the book, I just found everybody else including whiny Nash, that awful Sabine and that ungrateful friend Emma to be the worst friends possible in regards to that certain 'something' that happened to Kaylee and how her ending came about. It just didn't go well with me when I read the epilogue and the fact that everyone else moved on with their lives like ungrateful little . . . well . . . let's just say Tod is the only character I'm grateful for in the end because he never gives up on Kaylee and again bless him with how he feels about Kaylee. But that ending . . . damn you just can't do that! Sabine and Nash . . . grrrrr! I hope you two rot in Hell. Hehe.

Overall, apart from not being totally happy with the ending, WITH ALL MY SOUL certainly sets up a great finale and I can't wait to read even more from Rachel Vincent. How does that one woman write such fantastic stories like these ones? It's a mystery really and how I envy her!

The Rating
4/5 stars

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha, sorry. Your Nash/Sabine hate amuses me. I actually liked the ending. I finished it this afternoon. I don't think it's too hard to believe that their lives kept going. It was four years after all. I'm not sure about them all going to prom without her though. That seems a bit off, but otherwise, I was happy with it. Except for Emma's sister's plot. What went on there? Is that baby going to try and kill them/sleep with them ten years from now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe I'm glad it amuses you. Nash and Sabine . . . they're just not my favourites in this final book unfortunately (more so with Sabine cause I've always hated her). But yeah, I understand the ending but it just seemed off for me and I felt sorry for Kaylee. Oh yeah Emma's sister's plot was really strange to me so who knows what happened there ?? Spin-off maybe? Hehe.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...