Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Red Sparrow by Jason Matthews

Release Date: Out now!

Publisher: Simon & Schuster

Pages: 448pgs

The Story

A Russian honey trap agent targets a young CIA operative to uncover a senior-ranking mole at the heart of the Russian Intelligence service.

Dominika Egorov, former prima ballerina, is sucked into the heart of Putin's Russia, the country she loved, and spat out as the twists and turns of betrayal and counter-betrayal unravel.

American Nate Nash, idealistic and ambitious, handles the double agent, codenamed MARBLE, considered one of CIA's biggest assets. He needs to keep his identity secret for as long as the mole can keep supplying golden information.

Will Dominika be able to unmask MARBLE, or will the mission see her faith destroyed in the country she has always passionately defended?

The Review

A big thanks to Simon & Schuster Australia for sending me a review copy of this book!

I will happily admit I don't usually read CIA books unless they have an interesting blurb at the back of the book (because some CIA books can clearly be quite long and heavy reads) but I do have quite a fetish for thriller books, particularly espionage thriller stories since they are the most exciting reads of all. And, in line with those exciting reads that I love and adore, I surprisingly really enjoyed Jason Matthews's RED SPARROW and I knew all along it was right up my alley in the first place.

RED SPARROW, in my opinion, may not be for everyone's taste but it definitely has so many appealing things about it - what with credible characters, beautiful descriptions of settings and with some pretty exciting experiences of what the CIA has to offer in terms of actually feeling what it's like to be apart of this grand scale organisation with many deceptions, schemes, double-crossings and dangerous missions of all types. It was just such a fascinating read for me and sets up a great tale that I think any reader would enjoy, no matter what you like or don't like in books or in their genres.

Overall, RED SPARROW is not for the light-hearted or impatient people, but on a whole I thought the book felt really authentic and I love that considering the author himself was in the actual CIA in real life (I mean that's seriously cool because he knows his stuff!). So I find Jason Matthews definitely gets a two thumbs up from me with his new book!

The Rating
4/5 stars

1 comment:

  1. Ooh I love the sound of this! I've never read any proper CIA books or anything similar but I did love the Alex Rider series when I was younger! This sounds a lot more serious and realistic and like something I would enjoy. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...