Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Six Impossible Things by Fiona Wood

Release Date: Out now!

Publisher: Pan Macmillan

Pages: 263pgs

The Story


Fourteen year old nerd-boy Dan Cereill is not quite coping with a reversal of family fortune, moving house, new school hell, a mother with a failing wedding cake business, a just-out gay dad, and an impossible crush on Estelle, the girl next door. His life is a mess, but for now he's narrowed it down to just six impossible things . . .

The Review

A big thanks to Pan Macmillan Australia for sending me a review copy of this book!

I haven't read anything like this book before and I guess that's why I enjoyed it so much because what makes SIX IMPOSSIBLE THINGS stand out even more than it already did to me is the fact that it's soooooooo Aussie-like and like any other Aussie person I know, the book contains some clever witty writing (trust me it's so hilarious and socially awkward but in the best way possible) and through this writing alone it's told in a very honest way so of course I ended up loving it!

For one of our main characters, Dan, he is dealing with a lot of family crisis's lately, which includes finding out his father is gay (not exactly ideal right now), his parents are divorcing each other (for obvious reasons) and finding out that the family business is going bankrupt (perfect timing, right?). But apart from all of these problems he is currently experiencing, this is why I love Dan even more as a character because he is absolutely hilarious and I find his situation is just so real and brutally honest in a way that makes me connect with him instantly. He's not exactly - if at all - living the perfect life like some characters usually do, but he's trying to hold his head up high and find something to do to take his mind off things. I just loved him for that! His every action and thought, in the end, just made him such a great and a very interesting character and I think a lot of people will definitely relate to him on any level. Ah, I just loved this guy! I mean, I loved the other characters too, but Dan did it all for me and I can't praise him enough really.

Overall, SIX IMPOSSIBLE THINGS is a very quick-paced and quite a simple book (a great one at that), but it's one small book with so many entertaining things inside of it and will have you in stitches, so I would highly recommend this one to everyone or rather to my fellow Aussie readers. It's a real hoot this book!

The Rating
4/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...