Sunday, September 29, 2013

Goddess by Josephine Angelini

Release Date: Out now!

Publisher: Macmillan Children's Books

Pages: 480pgs

The Story

She must rise, or they will fall ...Helen's powers are increasing--and so is the distance between her and her mortal friends. To make matters worse, the Oracle reveals that a dangerous traitor is lurking among them, and all fingers point to Orion. Still unsure whether she loves him or Lucas, Helen is forced to make a terrifying decision, or risk all-out war. The final book in this heart-stopping trilogy.

The Review

A big thanks to Pan Macmillan for sending me a review copy of this book!

A few years ago I absolutely fell hard over Josephine Angelini's Starcrossed tale and it was by far one of the most amazing ideas in Greek mythology that I've ever across in a YA novel. It's one of a kind to say the least. While I found it was unfortunate to not totally love the sequel, Dreamless, or this book for that matter, but considering everything I read in this final conclusion to Helen and Lucas's tale, I'm still very excited to read more from the author because she's a great writer and knows how to twist her plots in the most unexpected ways.

GODDESS, on a whole, was quite an interesting sequel. There was a lot going on, but what I loved in particular was Helen and how much she has grown as a main character, and even how she had dreams - or rather envisions herself - of when she was Helen of Troy. Yes! I loved witnessing those rare dreams and I wished we had more of them since Helen of Troy is very well connected to the central plot and are part of the reason why things are the way they are for the characters now. But the only (small little) thing I didn't quite understand in the book was the whole visions of Guinevere and the whole Arthur-Lancelot section. I get why they were added into the storyline for purposes of why Lucas and Helen were always torn apart in very complicated situations, but I didn't really understand how that could have connected to the Greek mythology ordeal but you know that was only a small thing I didn't like so much in the book.

In terms of the characters, all of them were still pretty great and proved themselves again and again with how to handle anything that was being thrown at them. Anything dangerous I mean. Helen and Orion, in particular, were my all time favourites in this book and were the clear standouts for me. Lucas . . . well I still love you dude for being there for Helen (even though we don't really see as much of you as I wanted to) but I wasn't quite a fan of you like I was with Helen and Orion. Like in all of the books, Helen has been through many trials to get to the point of where she is now and in saying that I thought she was the main person that handled everything perfectly. She didn't freak out like other characters did, she just held her ground and stood up for what she believed in, and most importantly, she stood up for herself and proved to others how much she loved Lucas and how she was going to fight for him no matter what. And really, what's better than that? All hail true love! And of course, Orion, what can I say? I adore him. I knew he didn't have a chance in hell to be with Helen in the way he clearly wanted to be, but I still appreciated how important he was in the book and how caring he was with Helen. Big fan of his! Big fan!

Overall, while I was slightly disappointed with the ending of GODDESS as I thought more would actually happen, but all in all, I thought this book was a great final conclusion and I'm looking forward to reading more of Josephine Angelini's work in the future.

The Rating
3 1/2 / 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...