Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Hereafter by Kate Brian

Release Date: 1st October, 2013

Publisher: Disney-Hyperion

Pages: 320pgs

The Story

Rory Miller thought her life was over when a serial killer set his sights on her and forced her into witness protection. But a fresh start on Juniper Landing Island was exactly what she and her family needed. For the first time in years she and her sister hang out at the beach, gossip about boys, and party together. She's also made friends with a local clique--including a magnetic and mysterious boy named Tristan.
 
But Rory's world is about to change again. Picturesque Juniper Landing isn't what it seems. The truth about the swirling fog that rolls in each morning, the bridge that leads to nowhere, and those beautiful locals who seem to watch Rory's every move is more terrifying than being hunted by Steven Nell. And all Rory ever wanted was the truth. Even if it means learning that she can never go home again. From the best-selling author of the Private and Privilege series comes the second novel in a heart-stopping trilogy about a girl who must pick up the pieces after the only life she's ever known ends.

The Review

A big thanks to the publisher on netGalley for accepting my request in reading this book early!

Earlier this year I read Kate Brian's Shadowlands and I had thoroughly enjoyed it. The story was well-plotted, very eerie, contain some really great characters and not to mention the book itself just had a very deadly, killer cliffhanger that made me even more excited to pick up its sequel.

In general, I thought the sequel was definitely a good little read. I mean, HEREAFTER may not have been my favourite book thus far in the series (which you can blame on the characters themselves because I had no idea who to trust or like for that matter) as it wasn't the same great read like its predecessor was, however it was still very strong in the creepy factor and I guess on a whole I was still very entertained by this book and what it had to offer, especially when it yet again delivered another killer cliffhanger that made me somewhat shocked and somewhat disgusted by a certain character of Brian's and what he or she had done by the end of the book. Yeah it's very complicated this sequel and it definitely gave me some greater perspective that I had needed from that particular character in question . . . that's for sure.

But apart from that character whom made me so mad by the end of the book, what I did love about this book was the main character and how strong she has eventually become. That being our main leading lady heroine, Rory. She may have made some pretty silly decisions now and then in this book, and perhaps trusted the wrong people (especially of those closest to her), but in the end of it all I still felt like she had grown as a character and that's what I can always truly appreciate in a sequel and really that's all I want from a book. Progression and development. However, I have to say the other supporting characters such as Rory's sister, Darcy, and Rory's love interest in particular, had really got on my nerves this time round and even more than they did in the first book. But . . . I'm still excited to see what the author has install for the rest of the characters in the third book coming next year, which I'm guessing is going to be a major and a mind-blowing kind of book. Especially after that cliffhanger we got in the end. It was like whoa.

Overall, if you liked Shadowlands then I would definitely recommend HEREAFTER as it does a nice job in the continuation of this series.

The Rating
3/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...