Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Dead Silence by Kimberly Derting

Release Date: Out now!

Publisher: HarperCollins

Pages: 336pgs

The Story

Violet thought she’d made peace with her unique ability to sense the echoes of the dead and the imprints that cling to their killers…that is until she acquired an imprint of her own. Forced to carry a reminder of the horrible events of her kidnapping, Violet is more determined than ever to lead a normal life. However, the people who run the special investigative team Violet works for have no intention of letting her go.

When someone close to Violet becomes a suspect in a horrific murder, she finds herself pulled into a deadly hunt for a madman with an army of devoted followers. Violet has survived dangerous situations before, but she quickly discovers that protecting those closest to her is far more difficult than protecting herself.

The Review

Okay, so I heard from other readers that this book is the last of The Body Finder series and if that is the case, I have to say I'm pretty disappointed, especially of the events that occurred in this book. For one, I felt as if the story was the same old, same old as the previous three installments of the series which is not necessarily a bad thing but more so . . .  just too predictable, and two, I felt like there were way too many loose ends for a last book and for me personally the last book in a series has to go out with a bang and sadly for this book just . . . didn't.

DEAD SILENCE brings us back to Violet, our main heroine, and while she should be concentrating on her upcoming prom and graduation, but instead, she can't forget her own imprint and she especially can't forget about her being kidnapped not too long ago. But when Violet soon finds a family dead in their own home and when one of her classmates is accused of murder, she is more than determined to put herself in danger (yet again) and find out who the killer is before it's too late.

Again, I stress that the plot isn't anything different compared to the rest of the books in the series. You have someone murdered or something similar to that and then Violet has to find the killer. Same old, same old. So even though I do regularly enjoy these types of stories - particularly thrillers and mysteries - as they have a Nancy Drew feel to them, but unlike the very first book in the series, The Body Finder, which I enjoyed a lot and even it's sequel, Deadly Desires, but now I've just lost interest in the series altogether because it has become way too predictable for me. I mean, the problem with many sequels is that it's hard to succeed after a very successful first book or rather it's hard to create another exciting book in a series for those hardcore readers, and like what happened to me with this series, there is hardly any progression for this storyline and for the characters as well, and I almost feel like everything should have been settled already by the third book by now. So again, it was not a bad book this one (probably not what you think with me giving this book only one star) or at least the twists and turns part, but . . . I'm just too tired to care about things now in the series.

Regarding the characters, I still liked Violet (well mostly) as a character and especially her boyfriend, Jay, but like what has happened throughout the course of this series, the whole love triangle ordeal with Violet's boyfriend, Jay, and with her suppose 'friend', Rafe, was too overdone and not to mention overwhelming for me. Too la-de-da and MOVE ON ALREADY PLEASE! I think for most readers we all know that she loves Jay (she loves him SO MUCH and we've known that all along) and really that's that. End of story. There is simply no reason whatsoever - no reason at all - why Violet should have anymore feelings for this Rafe dude, especially when we know personally that she wants Jay in her life no matter what. Friend and romantically. Ugh. Again and again, it's just too predictable this book and it's just so boring now with the characters and everything else that they do because they do exactly the same thing as they have done in the previous books (I'm talking about you suppose love triangle thing that shouldn't really be one to begin with) and the characters just continually keep on making the same mistakes and really never learn from them in the end nor try and do anything different to prevent repercussions of some pretty terrible (and avoidable) situations. Again, I'm tired of everything. Tired of it all. I give up!

Overall, DEAD SILENCE was a means to an end for me and while I wasn't all too happy about how everything ended, but that's that I guess. The end.

The Rating
1/5 stars

2 comments:

  1. Sorry you were disappointed with this. I completely understand though - I hate it when the same things just happen over and over again! It gets so old and boring. Especially love triangles! When it's so obvious how it's going to end, it just seems pointless. Thanks for the honest review :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz. Yeah I hate when books do that but at least I finished the book series which is something I guess. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...