Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Torn by K.A. Robinson

Release Date: Out now!

Publisher: Atria Books

Pages: 272pgs

The Story

Chloe hasn't had the best life. With a mother who is gone more often than not, she has had to raise herself. After graduating high school, she leaves to start a new life away at West Virginia University with her best friends Amber and Logan, determined to leave her demons in the past. 

On her first day, she meets a stranger who takes her breath away at first sight. Until she met Drake, no one had ever sparked her interest. Now this tattooed and pierced bad boy is all she can think about, no matter how hard she fights it.

Falling for Drake was never part of her plans, but when it happens, things seem to do anything but fall into place.

Dealing with a tragic past, Drake has never cared about anyone else but himself and his band. But when Chloe takes the empty seat next to him in class, things start to change. Instantly drawn to her, he begins to wonder if one girl can take a cold hearted womanizer and change every part of him?

Long hidden feelings are revealed and friendships tested to the brink.

The Review

A big thanks to the publisher for sending me a review copy of this book!

Ugh. This is going to be a hard review to write but for starters, I really like the new adult genre (I think it's an awesome genre no matter what some people say), however lately some stories seem to become the same old, same old thing. Bad boys. Good girls. Cliche romances. Sex. More sex. And most importantly . . . more sex but with less of a storyline. While this particular book does fall into the same categories as I mentioned before and while it wasn't necessary a bad book per se (which it is not), but I found this book doesn't present anything new and exciting for me to read about, so it would only be a pretty average read for me to say the least. A book that has it's good and bad things.

The good things straight-up would definitely be the ages of the characters because I can somehow relate to them (at least a little bit) and the fact that they present some pretty heavy issues in the book, I actually believe some readers can relate those things also. However, with the lack of connection to the characters is probably the main reason why I'm rating this book lower than I planned to. The characters, much like with the storyline itself, were only 'just okay' characters for me, but again I stress that I found it was very hard to connect and believe in the character's stories, especially with Drake who, I find, is yet another stereotype the new adult genre brings up constantly in books. The rebel without a cause. The playboy who changes his 'ways'. Chloe, the main character, may have gotten on my nerves at times, but I think Drake annoyed me more because I don't believe he is a great guy and I'm slowly getting tired of bad boy guys or at least people pretending to be one of them. Yeah . . . the characters let this book down for me unfortunately not to mention the sex etc.

Overall, TORN has made me torn myself. It's still a decent book all round, but with the lack of connection is what failed me to like this book more. But if you like the likes of Beautiful Disaster or something along those lines, then you may like this book!

The Rating
2/5 stars

2 comments:

  1. I think it can sometimes be difficult to find new NA books that aren't too similar to those that have been and gone. I can see myself getting easily frustrated by the sex and the cliches in this one, so I'll probably skip it, but thanks for the helpful review! I hope your next read is more satisfying. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It's very frustrating. I need more STORY than anything else.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...